• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speed tenon technique

Kinda cool. Check out this video:

Behold, the Speed Tenon - Fine Woodworking

Re: speed tenon technique

tried it yesterday. works well, just don't rush it or the work piece can get hung up on the blade.
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Yeah, I do cuts like that on a regular basis. That's the reason I have never installed a guard on my Table Saw. Some of the jokers from the "free hand" table saw thread should find a few cajones and cut a few tenons.

Comment

That system works well if you do not push it to fast or to large of bites,

Abbot my saw looks like Norms on Yankee work shop, and the guard has been removed for picture clarity as well, my guess is that is why yours has never bee put on your saw for picture clarity
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Nah, I never put guards on my table saws or skillsaws. In think they are more useful tools without them, there are to many cuts that guards will not let you make. I have often found it safer to not have a blade guard in the way.
          Last edited by Abbott; 11-14-2011, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Abbott View Post
            Nah, I never put guards on my..... skillsaws. .
            if skillsaws refers to a 7 1/4" circular saw, how do you keep from damaging the blade when the saw is not in use?
            there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
              if skillsaws refers to a 7 1/4" circular saw, how do you keep from damaging the blade when the saw is not in use?
              My cordless saw I usually just extended the table all the way down and stand the saw up inside my tool cabinet. In my truck boxes I lay it on it's side. My worm gear saws I usually just lay them on their sides. It's easy enough to do because that's the habit used anyway when using them. If I am working at my bench I have a saw hook (wooden stick) where I hang the saw by the upper handle on the end of my saw horses. If working on a job site they need to be laid on their side after using.

I have one skillsaw with the guard still on it and a small hook I built into the blade housing that will keep the guard retracted when the hook is engaged. It also allows the guard to function when job site rules require it and the extra versatility isn't needed. I have been using these saws like this for so long I sometimes find it difficult to cut with a guard in the way.

No blade guard was standard practice working in Southern California when I was coming up and it has been a boon in the years since. It makes my saws more versatile and quite a bit easier to use.
              I do not let inexperienced guys use my saws without close supervision. For the average home owner guy I would recommend that saws keep their guards in place.

Comment

Working...
              X