Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know cold weather vs tools has been discussed, but...

I have a very simple question: will abandoning my tools in an unheated garage for an extended period of time (4 - 6 months) cause any damage ie. rust and / or motor failure? Thanks!

Re: I know cold weather vs tools has been discussed, but...

the only downside i have noticed is the batteries on lithium ion tools. they don;t care much for dec, jan, feb and march here in NY. the charge dissipates rather quickly as the temperature drops. so i move them inside when the really cold weather sets in. never had any problems with corded power tools attributable to cold weather.
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I agee with Finer on the LI-ion batteries. NiCads don't seem to be adversely affected in the same manner.

With regard to rust or corrosion, I think even the slightest preventive measures like WD40 or a thin coating of oil, wax, etc. would help to some extent. If you garage or storage area is properly vented, there shouldn't be too much in the way of moisture build-up, even in MN. Tools that are chromed or otherwise plated to resist corrosion should not suffer adversely through one winter's storage.

I live in NY's southern tier and winters are nasty enough, but probably not the extremes of MN. Summer's are probably worse, stictly from a high-humidity point of view. Of course, winter weather and it's extreme cold temperatures are less humid as cold air is significantly drier than warm air. Problem is more prevalent moving cold tools into a warm room where any moisture will immediately collect on the cold object, much like a cold beverage can will "sweat" in the summer. However, just left in a properly vented building or vehicle during a fridgid season should not effect tools generally. What should be of concern is certain battery chemistries (as mentioned), and any liquids or chemistries that might be part of your work; like paint, adhesives, caulks, cleaning fluids, etc. Also, I'm of the impression that any electronic tools utilizing batteries, LCD displays, etc. should NOT be left for even an overnight sub-freezing storage.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

BAD IDEA ! Send them to Me in Sunny CA. I'll return them later , REALLY !
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Thanks much guys! Yeah, I pulled the batteries for the cordless stuff and they are safe in the house where it is warm. The rest of the power tools should be ok. I saw on someone else's post a product called T-9 - some spray wax rust protector. I've had good luck with WD40 and putting a layer of Johnsons paste wax on the table saw and the band saw and that has worked in the past for the few weeks they were left alone, but I hadn't done this before for an extended period of time.

Comment

I keep the rechargeable batteries in a heated area,
            and if it is really cold warm up the tools some if possible before use, oils and grease is really stiff when cold, (air compressor some times (most of the time) will work better if you bleed off the air before starting so it does not have to work as hard when cold, If you have quick attach hoses put just the end in the quick fitting and let it bleed out and some times run for a few mins before trying to pump the compressor up,

Drain and add RV antifreeze to any water unit, (pressure washer), I have found that it nearly impossible to get all the water out of the pump so adding the RV antifreeze is about the only safe way to do it, (I made a small short section of hose with a funnel on it for filling the pressure washer, a few pulls of the starter rope will usually suck it in and go until I see it exiting the pump, (I have quick attache fittings on the hose,
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Tools will rust, even in sunny CA. Usually the rust hurts nothing, but once in a blue moon I have a problem with rust on bolts and blued steel. A bit of WD40 and elbow grease will loosen it up. WD40 does not act as a long term rust preventative either, I tried that and learned the hard way on machined metal surfaces.
              We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Working...
              X