Router Table for R4512

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router Table for R4512

I don't have a great deal of space, so I'd love to put a router table on my R4512 table saw. Bench Dog makes a cast iron router table -- does anyone know if it fits the R4512?

Since the Bench Dog router table is so heavy, there might be a weight issue; does anyone know of a leg set for the R4512?

Has anyone done this; put a Bench Dog router table on their R4512? I'd love to hear from you!

Are there other options other than the Bench Dog that anyone is aware of?

Thanks!

Re: Router Table for R4512

I just bought a 4512 and made a extention out of 3/4 mdf for the right side, 14 5/8 ish x 27. What I am going to do is make my own plate. At work we have made these out of plywood and laminated the top of them. Super smooth and always flush. You can use 1/2 plywood(good grade) and rabbit the edge down to 1/4 or thicker, 1/2" wide. Or you can use 1/4 plexiglass, black plastic, aluminum, or phenolic. It is cheaper and you can customize it to your liking. The weight with the extention doesnt effect the table saw balance at all and adding a router is negligible. MDF is great for a work surface and laminated is even better. Ive used routers mounted into mdf tables and for woodworking they are just fine. Now for metal work I would use cast iron, aluminum etc.

Comment

@GarageJunkie: how did you end up mounting the mdf to the extension table? Specific details and/or pics would make me love you forever

Comment

Router out a slight outline of the base for it to sit in and use toggle clamps.

Comment

I also made a plywood extension, but it isn't anywhere nearly strong enough for a 3 1/2 hp router.

It turns out that the Bench Dog cast iron router table for table saws fits perfectly! It's a great way to add a rock solid router table to the saw. I also installed a Woodpeckers router lift to hold the Porter Cable router. Rock solid, easy to install. This is the way to go!

Comment

Holy crap! I just looked up the Bench dog, how did you get that thing to fit/what blade did you use?

I took some pics of the 110v switch setup I made for the vac and router, and it shows some of the mounting of the extention table, I used bolts,nuts and washers. The blue cord is 120v, the yellow is 240v. The router table insert is still a work in progress, I need to make it longer.

Name:  cbae9998aadc8d48b29e89788fe4ec2b.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  72.5 KBName:  6a780529b20fcc0b0d9879549cc3d813.jpg
Size:  64.5 KBName:  05d9686b0d5e934e653f37cf96a9ecf3.jpg
Size:  55.2 KBName:  943c9dbe0bb44123f065b7f0a7a242e4.jpg
Size:  68.0 KBName:  e71d0516de26fe19afe9e8de59089952.jpg
Size:  50.3 KBName:  51b7577d9ca914d3e58b5ec60481128c.jpg
Size:  81.6 KBName:  7fb0c332a845d8764e50cdcbcf024b6c.jpg
Size:  69.7 KB

Comment

The Bench Dog cast iron router table fits perfectly into the right-hand side of the saw. It fastens to the cast iron saw table; you do have to remove your wood extension, and the steel extension, as well. I put a small table under the saw with some scrap wood to achieve the correct height, then put the Bench Dog extension on that stack, which held it up for me to start the fasteners. The correct fasteners came with the Bench Dog. Once in place, I installed a WoodPeckers router lift, and used the leveling screws to level the router lift to the Bench Dog table. Then I installed a Porter Cable 7518 multi-speed router into the router lift, and finally installed a 1/2 inch lock miter bit designed for 3/4 inch wood into the router. Considering I had never used a router table, or a router lift, or a monster bit before, the installation went very well. I also installed a router switch onto the table extension rail so I can turn on the router, and dust collection, from above rather than below.

Admittedly, I have NOT successfully made a lock miter joint yet. I'm still trying to get my mind around the 3-dimensions necessary to get that lock miter bit adjusted properly to make the arts & crafts legs that I want to make. (1.75 inches square with quartersawn figure on all 4 sides.)

Comment

I finally put in a JessEm router plate on my extension. It is sweeeeet. That Porter cable is a nice addition.

Comment

Can someone take pics of how they attached their shop-made extension? I dont have a problem drilling out the rear track or the spreader bar, but cant figure out attachment to the front rail?

Comment

I built a router table into my R4512 using MDF. When I get home, I can post some more showing my custom power switch for the Ridgid R22002 router I used and how I mounted the whole thing in the frame. I even made an MDF fence to add to my R4512's fence that I can offset for "poor man's jointing". Here are the pictures I have available at work to post.

Comment

I love my Benchdog extension. Had it about 4years now. Heavy yes, but works well with my R4512 saw. Cant beat cast iron and just love the extra perfectly flat table space.

Mounted mine on the left and moved spacer to rt side. No additional support used.
                      Last edited by johncameron; 08-17-2014, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X