Table saw fustrations!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table saw fustrations!!!

I have the TS2412 10" Cast Iron Table Saw, in general I love it, but I am up to my ears in pain right now. I just moved the saw from my dad's shop to my new one. It had been a few years since I assembled it, so I downloaded the manual from the RIDGID site to ensure I put it back together right. Now that it is done, everything is dead on accurate except for the left extension table. I cannot get it level. I checked the piece and its not warped or damaged. From where it mounts to the cast steel left edge it begins to hang lower than level by the time I measure the outside edge (furthest from the blade). I have adjusted and relaigned it 3 times and it keeps happening. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am so fed up I am about ready to replace it for a home made router insert.

Also, can my saw be converedt for the longer fence rails like the TS2424?

Thanks
    Measure once...Cut...then go buy a new longer board.

I'm restating the problem so I'm sure I have it: The extension wing droops, right?

Loosen the mounting bolts, place a length of masking tape on the iron saw table's mating face, _below_ the mounting bolts. Tighten, recheck. Repeat until level.

I need to pass on the fence question, it's been too long since I've worked with mine.

Dave

Comment

Correct to your drooping question. So are you basically stating create a masking tape wedge or shim to force the drooped edge up? thanks for the tip
      Measure once...Cut...then go buy a new longer board.

Comment

You can replace your rails with the 2424 rails. I did that on my saw. There is nothing different from what I can tell except the length of them. I have mine positioned with 36" to the right and 12" to the left instead of 24/24. Of course, the tape measure on the rails will be off, but that's not a problem.

Now, because of the fact that the fence wants to draw the rails together when you tighten it, you will need to put some sort of rod/stiffener between the rails. You can buy one from Ridgid or you can do what I did. I made an extension table out of melamine to fit between them. It works like a charm.

I also upgraded my right extension wing to the cast iron one. I know what a pain the steel ones are to get level.

Comment

Exactly correct, making a shim. About anything will work, but tape holds itself in place. If you needed something very thick there are better materials, but a wing rarely needs much.

Dave

Comment

Dave's tip of using a shim will work, but you can also "tweek" the stamped steel extensions, simply by lifting up on them. It is not uncommon for the TS2412 extension to need a bit of tweeking to get them level.

Jake

Comment

Working...
            X