Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3650 Start Key

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a new TS3650 Tablesaw from Home Depot. Upon unpacking it, I found all pieces accounted for EXCEPT the Start Key, which had been forcibly removed from its plastic keeper that housed the rest of the hardware (nothing else appeared disturbed or out of place, so someone went to a lot of trouble to steal it).

I called Ridgid, who told me that the keys were back-ordered, and not to expect it until the end of May. I also called every Home Depot in the area, and the shop where Home Depot sends equipment for warranty work, and nobody has one.

It just seems odd to me that there is a shortage of the one part that you HAVE to have in order to use their tools. I would think that every Home Depot would have a big box of them, just in case.

Does anyone know of another place that I can purchase a start key for this saw? I have it almost fully assembled, and although it is very pretty (and very orange), it would be nice to see how it cuts wood.

Thanks

Although I'm not absolutely certain of this, I believe the start keys on Ridgid tools are universal. My drill press did not have one and I used the key from my oscillating sander on it until I received one from Ridgid. If you don't have another tool with a start key, I'd ask the HD where I bought my saw if they could give me one off a floor model.

Comment

Just for interest sake I went to the shop and the key from my EB4244 works in my 1990's Craftsman Radial Arm Saw and vice versa. They look different from the operator side but the part thay keys into the switch is identicle

Comment

Ask your HD to contact other HD out of the area. They're in stock somewhere out there so make them find you one. If you look all over and can't find one I'll sell ya one of mine cheap. PM me if you've exhausted all options.

Comment

Thanks very much for your efforts. I visited my local HD and called two others in the general area, and none of them could or would help me. I just got off the phone with Ridgid Customer 'Service', and their 'Too bad, I guess you're SOL' attitude has me a bit unhappy. I will try to pick up a Craftsman Key. Thanks again.

Dennis

Comment

It is almost inconceivable to me that Ridgid could not send you one of these keys. However, HD's refusal to at least give you one of the keys from a floor model really takes the cake. Obviously, they don't care one bit about customer service. I'm sure my local HD would do that, but if not, I would never, never, never buy even a nail from them again. A table saw is an expensive item and people don't normally buy them to have them set around the house. This inaction could devastate someone who made their living with the saw.

Comment

glh
              Thank you, your like fresh air to me.
              For the life of me I can not figure out why anyone would put up with this longer than it took to take the machine back to Home Depot.

Dbird bought a saw and what he got is something worthless unless he can turn it on. Then he called Ridgid and they said the best they could do is maybe get him a key in 5 to 6 weeks. How long would the wait be if he needed something important like the plug!
              To me Ridgid's attitude is they don't care, He then talked to Home depot and smiled and said sorry!
              Why do would anyone think they deserve your $600.
              If it were me the saw would have been back at Home Depot after the call to Ridgid and I wouldn't buy a thing from them.
              I would really love to understand your reason for putting up with this.
              Rev Ed

Comment

dbird: Did you get your keys yet? I tried sending you an email but it wouldn't go through. Send me an email with your address and I'll send some keys. Thanks!

Comment

RevEd,

I appreciate your opinion, and normally, I'm right there with you. I've held out this long for a couple of reasons. First, I have been very busy at work, and have not had a whole lot of time except for visits to HD at lunch time, or phone calls at night. When I do have time, my Wife and 3 kids come first. Next, it's big and heavy, and difficult for me to get back to the store quickly. Finally, this is a big purchase for me, and something I have wanted for some time. All of this just happened this week, and when it started, I was sure that I could find the part. However, if it was not resolved by this weekend, I was prepared to take it back.

I'll tell you this though: For a general consumer and homeowner, I do a lot of business at Home Depot. I have several options in my area for this type of merchandise, including a couple of Lowe's stores, who will start to see a lot more of my business. I also want to, eventually, expand my shop with a bandsaw and other equipment, and Ridgid will probably not be on my list.

Thanks,

Dennis

Comment

It used to be that the RIDGID-Home Depot relationship reminded me of a moderately funny movie I saw called Dumb & Dumber. Now that they have hooked up with OWT/Ordertree the cycle is complete, Dumb & Dumber Part II.

I like my RIDGID stuff but it does seem fitting that the lack of a .01ยข part and a SOL attitude will in this case probably cost RIDGID some future business.
                    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Guys let be fair. I just vented on this subject in the other thread that is started then I read bdueker's (forum moderator) post that he was trying to get in touch with Dbird to mail him some keys.
                      I can understand a missing key. I can't understand Ridgid's first response of 5 or 6 weeks but it seems someone in Ridgid agrees that is not responsble and is working to solve the problem. Way to go bdueker! Now I hope you are also taking action with those in customer service so they don't give a similar answer to someone else.

The only problem that remains is Home Depot's attitude. I think Dbird should complain loud and hard to management about it.
                      Rev Ed

Comment

Hello everyone,

A special thanks goes out to bdueker, who, true to his word, sent me two keys, which I received yesterday (Saturday) Morning. I offered to pay for them, as you could probably buy a dozen of them with just the shipping cost, though he declined. I finished assembling and tuning the saw, turned it on, and it works great. It does appear to be a very nice saw.

As a side note, this is the latest chapter in a series of events regarding Home Depot, Ridgid and this tablesaw. As such, I am composing a letter to corporate officials to relay some thoughts regarding their overall customer service policies. I will also be sure to commend a certain service-minded Emerson individual who went beyond his responsibilities to help me out. I might also suggest that before Customer Service quickly tells a customer that they are waiting for a part to be made overseas, that they check with all of their Web Forum Moderators first to see what they have in their desk drawers

Thanks again to everyone for their interest and input.

Dennis

Comment

Hello,

Just a quick follow-up on this issue. I sent a long and detailed E-Mail to the Ridgid Company CEO. I did not expect a response, though after returning from a business trip, found a message from him asking whether the issue had been resolved. Yesterday, I received a call from an upper-level Ridgid Customer Service Manager. We spoke for a few minutes regarding the issue, and he left me a means of contacting him in the case of further problems.

Large Organizations sometimes lose sight of the small, but important issues, such as satisfaction of the people that buy their products. When a CEO of such an organization takes a few minutes from his day to call a consumer, I believe that it shows an underlying corporate commitment to service. Whether that vision is properly disseminated to the employees that normally field these calls is another matter, though it is a step in the right direction.

As a side note, I have been using the saw, and am very happy with it.

Thanks,

Dennis

Comment

Working...
                          X