fastener storage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fastener storage

I'm kind of new to woodworking and was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on how you store screws and nails? I have mine all sorted by size etc. and in old peanutbutter jars but they end-up on my workbench and in the way because they take up so much room. I would like to build something but not sure what. Maybe someone has an idea or plan that I could use. Thanks in advance for your help.

depending on the size and location of your shop, you could screw the lids to the ceiling (joists) in your garage and that way they are the fastners are out of the way yet accessable. you can take it so far as to cut a piece of 3/4 inch plywood and cut it in a circle. mount that to some hardware that allows it to spin and mount it to the ceiling as well...screwing the tops of the jars to the wood.

i have a combination, i have some screwed to my rafters, and my more common fastners i have in a small cabinet i got from a relative that i mounted inmy garage.

you have several options here. if your workshop is "finished" you could take a 1x6 the lenght of the room, stain it to match your molding/trim and mount it to your ceiling. then screw the tops to the 1X6 then you have a place to mount your jars. i use gravy jars and baby food jars actually, a mayo jar, pickle jar etc gets mixed in but that matters not.

the trick is to find a way to screw the lids above your head someow and screw the jars in that way. not directly above your head but within reach. the other option is to merely store them in a cabinet or a box/rubbermaid bin. maybe a filing cabinet you might have?its all about accessibility.

good luck and please let me know what you decide...just curious
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

I would be worried about hitting the jars with a piece of lumber if they are attached to the ceiling although it seems to work for you. I would screw the lids to the underside of a shelf if it were me. By the way, this idea has been around at least since I was a little kid and that's a long, long time. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
      Lorax
      "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Take some scrap wood that you have in the shop and make a box. Divide the box into several compartments to house the screws and nails. I did this and then put the box in a spare drawer I had in the shop. It works great and can easily see when the supply is running short.

Jim

Comment

Do as Jim said with the divided box, then cover half of the cubby hole openings with 1/4" plywood and stand the box up against the wall on your bench or hang it on the wall with a couple of anchors. This will give you divided bins that are easily accessable and only take out the amount you want.
          info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Thanks for the great ideas! I can see there are several ways to skin this cat. I am working on making the "shop plan" it has a ways to go yet but with these ideas and my reading on the internet and magazines I hope to have a good start by the end of the winter. Thanks again I will be trying some of these ideas and others that I find on this site.

Comment

Thanks for the great ideas! I can see there are several ways to skin this cat. I am working on making the "shop plan" it has a ways to go yet but with these ideas and my reading on the internet and magazines I hope to have a good start by the end of the winter. Thanks again I will be trying some of these ideas and others that I find on this site.

Comment

If you are in the process of planning your shop, check out this site.
                http://www.grizzly.com/workshopplanner.cfm?
                Lorax

Comment

another option is to pick up one of those 5 drawer plano hardware storage boxes. although the versitality is not there.

they also make hardware containers that mount to a pegboard. i only have a few of these and use them for my most used fastners.

the other thing i would suggest, if you want to spend the money, is Klein tools makes small grey parts storage boxes. most electrical supply stores carry them, berlands carrys them. the boxes/drawers come with various fixed inserts in various sizes and the boxes themselves are not very expensive. the case that klein sells that allows you to use these boxes as drawers is over 100.00. but hell we are woodworkers, these boxes have a handle on them making them easy to carry, and we can build a storage unit for them.

the trick is there are several different options out there you need to find what is comfortable for you.

they sell 5 gallon bucket orginizers. circular trays that stack and fit in 5 gallon buckets.

what i personally try to do is keep my fastners in their original packaging and i have a small cabinet in my shop that i keep them stored in. the jars house some of the more commonly used items, and the pegboard has the most used. this is my method. just be careful with the jars and look at where you are mounting them, as a previous poster stated, if they are in the wrong place you might end up hitting them with a piece of wood and that is a safety issue!

Comment

Hey,
                    Who you callin' "a previous poster"? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
                    Lorax

Comment

lorax, my apologies i am terrible with remembering names and while i was posting this, ridgids forum does not allow you to go back while leaving comments and researh previoud posts without losig the one you are typing. and i did not to want to give the wrong person credit. no had feelings?

ed

Comment

Lorax

Comment

It is easy to search other posts while a reply is in process... just hit Ctrl-N and windows will open a new instance of Internet Exploder which will be a mirror of the currently displayed web page. If you are logged into a site such as this forum, you will also be logged in under that web browser session too, so you can then navigate anywhere in the Ridgid forum for instance and search other posts, copy/paste from within those posts, etc.

Comment

Thanks Bob.

Actually there is one other idea that works well especially if you are afraid of the glass. After my son was born last year i thought we were going to have to buy stock in Tucks pads. these containers are plastic and you can do the same thing, screw the lids above your head or under a shelf, and use them. the only problem there is that you have to label them to know what is in there. If you have medical supply nearby you can go pick up a bunch of specimin containers that are plastic as well, so you can see through them and they are screwed up out of the way. My shop as i am sure all of ours are, is a work in progress. And it seems I am always looking for storage for those small fastners, nuts bolts, etc. I have some in the bench top orginizers with the drawers, some in gravy and baby food jars, some in tucks containers, and specimine cups. they all work . I personally hate the ones that you put on the pegboard. I have one of those, it is sealed, single compartment that i use to put screws/specific items for my power tools so i dont lose them. for example the screw for the factory insert on my table saw when using my zero clearance insert. Spare parts for my miter saw and/or any other parts that need to be located rather quickly. getting orginized is the hard part. keeping it is easy. just all depends on what your comfortable with and what works for you, how much money you want to spend, etc. I tend to be as cheap as possible here so i can buy the quality saw blades/bits/clamps/etc.

hope you had a great thanksgiving and i hope this gives you some idea's.

oh one last thing, i dont know if you are familiar with a magazine called "shop notes" www.shopnotes.com

best woodworking magazine i have ever subscribed to. They have a lot of good storage ideas in many of their issues.

good luck in whatever you do!

ed

Comment

Again, thanks for the feedback there are some good ideas out there. I think I will take some of each one of your posts and apply it to some of my own. You are right about the "what works for you" because there are similarities but there are differences in each of our work areas. I am fortunate and have floor space so what works for me might not work for others.

I do have a question though, my son said he thinks he seen an article somewhere about a fastener storage and out feed table combination but can't find it now. Does anyone remember seeing that article? Not sure if it is for me but it sounds interesting and besides it might spur some other ideas.

Comment

Working...
                              X