• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pocket Hole Plugs

I wonder what you folks do?

I see three methods...

1. purchase ready made pocket hole plugs
    2. Purchase a special designed pocket hole plug cutter About $40.00 [woodworker's supply]
    3. There is also a method using 3/8" dowels

I have used #1 with success although many of the premade plugs seem too tight

I have looked at #2 and you have to build a 15 degree jig for the drill press.
    Not a real challenge ...

Looking at #3, I am intrigued as the cost of a 3 foot dowel rod is minimal

I estimate the cost for a pine pocket hole plug when purchased in quantity [200 ea]
    you pay about 14 cents each

Cactus Man

Re: Pocket Hole Plugs

I normally just use the dowel and take a block plain to take off the bulk, and then sand with a sander,

seems like on one project I made a block and used the pocket jig, and made a pocket in it and then used that for a jig and cut them on the band saw, using a fence to guide the block, Had to push the plug out with a nail the way I remember it, after cutting the angle off the dowel and then would cut the next off the dowel square and then do it again, most likely if you had a lot to do one could figure out the over all length and then cut the angle off on a bunch of them (it been a long time but that is what is coming to mind,
    Last edited by BHD; 12-10-2011, 11:05 PM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I have only used dowel rod up till now, but was not quite happy with the exposed end grain. I bought some face grain plugs but have not used them yet.

Comment

I have used the store bought plugs, with marginal success. For any visible face of a project, I avoid using them altogether. I place them on the inside of cabinets for face frames mostly. I have used them for attaching small table tops as well.

Comment

I don't have a pocket hole set-up, but I can give you a 4th method to use when using woods other than pine, oak or poplar (common dowel rod material). I make my own dowels by just pounding a straight-grained small billet of the desired wood through a hole drilled in a 1/4" thick plate. To start it I sharpen the end some with either a pocket knife or a carpenter-pencil sharpener. So far have had good success with pine, oak, and walnut. I have not tried any cross-linked woods like cherry or maple yet, so that may not work as well.

By selecting a piece of wood with the grain running at the 15 degree angle, you could theoretically slice it off to give a face-grain look.

Go
          Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Working...
          X