X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a suggestion,

Any reputable trailer shop will be able to weld you a steel frame from 1" square stock, add 4" plates at the corners, and then attach any style wheel you supply for the frame. Harbor freight sells just about every size and style wheel from 2" solid core to 13" inflatable wheels.

Figure on about 1.5 hrs work @ 30 - 45 per hour plus parts - 4 wheels @ 6 each and you end up with a frame that will be steady, hold your power tool, and be mobile.

So basically for $85 - $130 you can have an "overbuilt" custom, mobile base.

Just a suggestion.

Comment

I built myself a base from plans from an issue of Wood magazine a few years back. It's basically a cam-action, quick-release solid maple base with steel rails. Not too high, and was a great first project for all of my new (recent) tool purchases.

Not sure how to post an image, and I don't have a site for hosting albums at the moment, but if anyone's interested, I could email a picture of the base.

Also, If anyone would be willing to post it here, I'd be happy to email them the file.

It's a great plan, and a great project, and works real well with my BS1400, and I'm 1/2 way thru finishing one for my TP1300.

Regards,

Julian Tracy

Comment

The Hrec-U-Lift is by far the best mobile base system. It can't be used on every tool base of course but the "universal" one is perfect for the BS1400.

Comment

Since my last post I have installed Herc-u-Lift Pluses on both my BS1400 bandsaw and my TP1300 planer. I believe they cannot be beat. Cost is the only issue and at $89.99, they are not cheap. I was lucky enought to get some HD gift certificates for Xmas.

Comment

I have to agree. I just finished installing the Herc-U-Lift onto my BS4100. There are specific assembly instructions and diagrams for the BS4100. Still took some time to put together, but it works great.

Comment

How is the stability? At $89 it had better be pretty good. I am wondering how it would justify against $45 miscellaneous for locking casters and some angle iron.

I love the Herc on my TS (and it specifically fits the BS1400, though most of HD doesn't know it) but there are plenty of things to spend money on...?

Comment

I've been lurking on this subject, to see what comes around. The stand for the BS1400 is too light of gauge IMO. It will twist and literally walk on you during operation. This causes havic when trying to follow the fence. I'm sure adding the Hurc to the bottom will help stabilize the lower portion, but it can not stabilze the twisting action I incounter.

My plans are to build a mobile base with heavy angle base frame, and then a box style base out of 3/4" ply with internal framing for stability. Discarding the legs and stretchers. Keeping the mounting plate, but adding a 3/16" solid plate to eliminate the twisting of that part in itself. Access for motor adjustments will be through a access panel.

No casters. Instead, tracks routered into the wood floor with miter type bars mounted to the bottome of the angle frame. Fixed position will be solid and tight via a wing set screw. Simply pull it away from the wall, set the wing screws, and it's locked solid to the floor. No tipping, twisting, wobbling, or movement of any kind. It's my solution to a top heavy, light weight machine that I just can't part with.
                John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Notwithstanding Woody's rather elaborate set up, which is more then I would undertake or need in my garage/shop, the stability of the Herc base is fine as long as you use normal care while moving it around. While in use, it is down and not on the casters. I would think that this would be more stable than locking casters. The only quirk is that it is a bit hard to step on the pedal due to the cross bracing. However, the ease of use outweighs this minor issue.

Comment

Originally posted by UO_Woody:
                    No casters. Instead, tracks routered into the wood floor with miter type bars mounted to the bottome of the angle frame.
                    Wow. I would love to see pics of that set up! Until they make very sharp masonary bits for routers, that last wouldn't be an option for me (concrete garage floor).

Building a whole mobile base in lieu of the stand is an idea, though. I haven't run the thing yet so I haven't experienced the walking issue, and I won't get to it for a couple months due to the travel schedule. Eager to see what you come up with!

toolesq, if I ever saw the lift on sale (20%) I would probably buy on general principle. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

The crosspiece is supposed to be removed according to the instructions. That might make it more wobbly but so far with my light usage, has not been a problem.

Comment

Working...
                      X