Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casters for BS1400

Hi Guys,

Just got my 1400 today, I am very limited for space, and would like to add some kind of locking casters to move it around.

Any suggestions??

In His grip,
    Smallpatch

I'd suggest one of those universal mobile bases, origniated by Delta and copied by Harbor Freight and Rockler---they're the one where you make your own wood rails----or, the basic Shop Fox base is also very strong (and when you factor in hardwood, a little cheaper).

With locking casters and no real "feet" touching the floor (as with the above) it kind of makes the top-heavy tendancy of a bandsaw a little worse. FWIW
    Dave

Comment

Recently I put my 6' Delta jointer and Ridgid 13" planer on Woodcraft's mobile base. Normally, the base is price at $49.95, but is on sell for $44.95 this month. It isn't as heavy duty as some bases (400 lb max, I think), but the two I have work fine and are easy to assemble. I think they'd work on a band saw but you'd need to check the min. deminsions on the base. The max. square is 36"x36" and max. rectangle is around 20"x52", I think.
      My band saw came on a HTC stand and is really nice (about $100 bucks, too), although I wish I had the space to not have to use a moble base.

Comment

I have mine up on the Rockler mobile base. It does ok, but i did get it high centered last night on some cutoff stock, and when i tried to move it off, the saw started to tip. it did not go over, but quite an eye opnener.

btw, on a slippery garage floor thi base tends to slide around, so i roll the back wheels into the expansion crack in the floor, that keeps the saw real steady during use.

Comment

The Herc-U Lift Plus should work on this machine? The center of gravity would remain the same when not being moved. I'm going to try it...unless I'm convinced not to in this forum.
          keep makn\' sawdust!...just don\'t breath any.

Comment

Has anybody found a stable mobile base yet? I would like one for my tablesaw taht extends to support the table of 50 inch fence, but everyone I see seems to have 2 locking casters and 2 revolving ones. I would ideallly like to see all 4 corners off the locked or wratcheted down to stop on floor.

I have seen delta bases online, they look like they have this feature.

Any input appreciated.

Jake

Comment

Jake----I built a base for my ts with 40" extension, using the similar Delta base-----have to say it only barely is adequate for the weight and a bit of a struggle to move----

ShopFox sells a base and has an extension kit available, which seems pretty strong. The downside is you have to bend down to engage the casters---no foot pedals, but it's miles cheaper than the HTC (right initials?) who sells both universal and custom bases----the universal has so many holes in it, it looks weak. The ones for specific machines are very expensive.
              Dave

Comment

I'll have to check out the delta somewhere in person then. Maybe shopfox too. Do you know of any major chains taht carry them. Or Local places in Chicago area.

I'm o.k. with bending down to engage. I'm still young.. lol and I don't need to move much. That's why I haven't purchased one yet. But eventually I'm sure I'll have a need. Just not enough of a need to justify 200 dollars right now. Spent it on saw instead

Jake

Comment

Smallpatch - as suggested above, the HF/Delta/Rockler base can be done and does work but I am not overly thrilled with it and wished a better base was to be had.
                  I added a platform of 2 pcs 3/4" ply and attached via screws to base. I think it helps on stability a bit, not much. It really helps on noise and vibration from transferring to concrete.
                  Not perfect but better than skidding across floor.
                  Just my .02 and a weak one at that.
                  Wish I had the answers ..... even half of \'em

Comment

Jake----of the national chains, I think you'll find both at Woodcraft.
                    Dave

Comment

I have my BS1400 on the mobile base from Woodcrafters. You can mount the lockable wheels either on the inside or outside of the frame. Suggest mounting on the outside for better stability. Also, I would bolt the stand to the mobile base. I have to lean mine back to put back on a 4" ledge in garage when not using. Works pretty well. I think the Herc-U-Lift would probably work much better though. IMHO.

Comment

I'll go with the mobile base from Rockler. I bought three earlier this year for very little money. I have my JPO610 on one, but have yet to build for the bandsaw. It works perfect for the joiner, so I expect no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike3206:
                          I'll go with the mobile base from Rockler. I bought three earlier this year for very little money. I have my JPO610 on one, but have yet to build for the bandsaw. It works perfect for the joiner, so I expect no problems.
                          Mike - if you have access to HF retail store just get them there. I have bought from them and Rockler and except for the physical exterior box they are idential. Mic'd 'em, measures everything and identical on 4 of last 5 I've bought. Wanna know the wackiest part of it all - the stinkin' instructions identical too. With one exception - that said "Delta" on lower left bottom on rear side. Now-that area is actually a "white" area on the others. Did they just "white out" and copy these things? Who knows - willing to bet that all 3 are made in/within same company over there they outsource to. Also have a Delta which was first one ever here. I have never mic'd that one and long ago tossed the instructions out but I bet ....
                          HF is $14.99, Rockler 2x or more higher, Delta's was real spendy but likely less today I'd think.
                          On the HF and Rockler - toss the bolts and get a few better quality one for a couple of bucks. You be happier with no snapped zingers going a flying across the room. I don't remember the Delta's or if I did replace them at that time.
                          Save the $$$$$ and buy yourself some more clamps
                          \"NowhereMan, are you listenin\', do you know what you\'re missin\', NowhereMan....\" Fab Four

Comment

Well worth the money to get the Ridgid Herc-U-Lift! ( I bought 2 of them)My 'workshop'shares the back end of the garage and both my BS1400 and Craftsman table saw are totally maneuverable and then can be 'parked' exactly where I want them.
                            Very happy - well made accessory.

Comment

Go with the Herc-U-Lift plus. It comes with all the parts necessary to mount it and the saw moves easily. Some stores have Herc-u-lifts that they were selling at a reduced price. Not good for anything but the Ridgid table saws. The PLUS has extentable arms so that it will fit most stationary tools. Great system, I have used it on most things I want to move. Love it.

Comment

Working...
                              X