X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifetime Warranty? Hoops

I think it's BS that they claim lifetime warranty but get you in the loopholes.

I bought a Ridgid Powermax instead of several other brands of multitools because of the lifetime warranty.

So here's their loophole. When I went to register it (you have to Register to get the lifetime warranty) a few days later I found out I could not. The model number and serial number on the tool wouldn't work you have to use a model and serial only found on the box. I threw the box out before I knew this so no lifetime warranty for me. SO when the tool failed after the third or forth time I used it I called to get service. Explained my situation and was basically told to bad on the lifetime warranty "not our fault". But I could get it serviced under the default three year warranty based on date of manufacture (well over a year before I purchased it. Good new It will get fixed this time. What happens next time it fails? Guess I'll just be ASOL. Not sure I'll ever buy a Ridgid tool Again!!!!

So What do you think? Is it Fair to require you to use numbers only found on the retail box (trash)?

Re: Lifetime Warranty? Hoops

I have never purchased a Ridgid power tool with a Lifetime Warranty but I have purchased a bunch of other things which require registration for warranties and/or rebates. I cannot remember a single occasion that did not require the information found on the retail box be used.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Rebates...Yes...Warranty Registration...I've never had to have info only avail on the box to register for warrany service Different model and serial number then on the tool is total BS. don't you think?

Comment

The only thing on the box they require is the upc code. Btw, what is a Ridgid "powermax" never heard of it. What problem did you have with the tool?

Comment

There is no doubt that there are far too many people who have the assumption that there is a "Lifetime Warranty".... there simply is NOT! You buy a Ridgid branded power tool (not a plumbing tool or a shop vac) and you will find it clearly marked on the box, on the signs at Home Depot, and here on the website... that the WARRANTY is THREE YEARS!!!! No registration is required, but like with all things, you must have a receipt. (Really now, is there any warranty that doesn't required some proof of purchase?)

However, Ridgid is the ONLY power tool brand (that I am aware of) that offers a "LIMITED LIFETIME SERVICE AGREEMENT". Please note the "AGREEMENT" part of that.

Now, you might just be a bit curious (though all to many complainers don't seem to be able to grasp that concept) as to exactly what that "AGREEMENT" might be. Basically, my perception of that word is, that TTI (using the "Ridgid" brand name under license) agrees to provide the initial purchaser with a lifetime of service, IF the purchaser would agree to register the tool purchase. That registration process is quite simple, in that all you have to do is provide the product and ownership information and send the UPC from the product carton, along with a copy of the sales receipt!

I know that all to many consider that to be "jumping through hoops".... but really, it takes about as much time as sitting through a couple of commercial breaks in whatever game you're going to watch on TV this week.

So, in your rush to get at your new tool, you failed to look at the box, or the paperwork and you've thrown the box away! Hey, maybe this is the very first purchase you've ever made in your life, who knows! In which case you might have been able to call Ridgid Customer Support and explain that to them, and just maybe they might have given you some alternative... maybe not, but it would have been worth the try.

But regardless of your failure to comprehend any of that... you still have a three year warranty and that alone is rather competitive. But if you still want to be angry about your failure, than by all means feel free to buy whatever brand you wish in the future.

Merry Christmas,

CWS

Comment

Read your Owners Manual. In it you'll find that what you are bellyacheing about doesn't exist. There is no such thing as a lifetime warranty for the tool you're referring too. That tool and all others made by TTI/OWT under license from Ridge Tool/Emerson carries a 3 Year Warranty against manufacturing defects. You do not have to register anything at all to qualify for this warranty.

What they do offer is a program call the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement. This agreement and all its benefits are spelled out for you in your Owners Manual. Yes, you do have to register for this program because it is offered above and beyond their 3 Year Warranty. Best of all it's free so yeah they do make you jump through a hoop or two but that is because it is only offered to the original buyer of the tool. Secondhand owners can't get this coverage nor do reconditioned Ridgid tools qualify.

As far as I know, no other tool manufacturer offers anything close to the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement. Jumping through a hoop or two for this coverage is well worth any extra effort it might take to properly register into it.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by DeLancie View Post
              ... Is it Fair to require you to use numbers only found on the retail box (trash)?
              Absolutely.
              It isn't a lifetime warranty, it's a lifetime service agreement.
              Basically, it's saying that if YOU do this, this and this, we'll agree to do that.
              Last edited by Doctordeere; 12-23-2011, 03:37 PM.
              "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

and following up on program registration requirements, there is nothing on the box needed to register the tool for the LSA. i know it says a upc is required, but i've NEVER sent in a upc. after registering the tool online, i have sent coipies of the receipt to ridgid to complete the registration process. all 30 or so of my tool, chargers and batteries have been registered for the LSA without incident. if you have your receipt, it's not too late for you either.
                there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

+1 for what the others have pointed out. Plus, this comes up time and time again and as many others here know if you call customer service and nicely ask for some assistance you might be amazed how they will take care of you.

I bought the Ridgid jointer and sent in all my paperwork and registered online, but never got my LSA, so one day over a year later I called talked customer service and asked for some help. Five minutes later my LSA was posted online. Nice.

I had to use my LSA on my R4511 when a gear broke. Yes I did have to disassemble down to the cab of the saw to make it portable but the Ridgid service center I took it to ordered the parts, fixed, lubed the entire inside components and had it done the same week. Really nice people and great service. Plus instead of cheaping out and just ordering the one gear piece, they replaced the entire assembly to make sure the issue would not come back.

Comment

Perhaps people having so many challenges understanding and registering their tools
                    should not own such a tool as likely they will not know how to use it safely and properly:

Warranty is quite simple:

1. In some states the implied warranty may not require a mail in registration

2. Most tools have anything from a 90 day to a 3 years warranty. Factory refurbished tools
                    only have a 90 day warranty. Brand new [first owner] tools have a 3 year warranty.

3. Home Depot offers a 90 day return policy [NOT WARRANTY] no questions asked [most of the time].

4. The LSA program is a special offer on some tools. The LSA is NOT a lifetime warranty,
                    rather, it's a lifetime service agreement...for the original owner only! This requires specific steps in the
                    registration process. The process is explained on the LSA warranty card! This card should be included
                    with the specific tool or kit that the offer applies too.

A warranty usually covers manufacturing defects etc.
                    A lifetime service agreement implies if your tool fails/breaks etc. Ridgid will repair it for no charge.
                    Only batteries specified within a "kit" are included in the LSA program.
                    Batteries and/or tools purchased individually are usually NOT offered the LSA and only offer the 3 year warranty.

There are exceptions from this as at times Ridgid will offer the LSA program on individual tools but..
                    they will specify that in the product documentation.

It is the responsibility of the tool owner to properly and correctly register their tool. For whatever reasons
                    if they do not all bets are off!

I concur there are some holes and weak links within the registration system and service center support.
                    Most assume simply registering their tool here "on-line" addresses everything..IT DOES NOT!
                    This can be very frustrating etc..and it would be nice if Ridgid would review their entire warranty system
                    and try to make it friendlier and less complicated.

You all have had grief with rebates, coupons and rebate forms from various manufacturers..this is to discourage its use.
                    Thus the company is not liable or responsible to provide the rebate. If you miss a simple step within the process
                    they will reject your application etc....We can scream at those marketing folks for this and lousy coupons....

My opinion is to eliminate coupons and rebates and simply offer a fair price for the product but that is not
                    profitable to the company!

Ridgid does not own the service centers! They are independent operations and some are great and some are awful.

Finally I strongly suggest when you do register your tool photocopy everything and mail it registered signature required!
                    This way you have a real paper trail should a problem occur and you can track the documentation.

Cactus Man
                    Last edited by cactusman; 12-24-2011, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Cactus,

Merry Christmas!

Thanks for the post. I think you've hit all of the points and certainly taken care of all of the possible questions that I could think of.

Good job,

CWS

Comment

I received the 18 volt lithium drill for christmas and my wife destroyed the reciept so I would not find it, I called ridgid customer service and was informed that I needed the reciept in order to register my drill. So I went to the home depot were it was purchased and explained that I was returning my drill for a store credit since I didn't have a receipt but thatt I wanted to buy it right back. I told the clerk about the life time service and I had no problem at all. I left there with my drill and a new receipt.

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                          There is no doubt that there are far too many people who have the assumption that there is a "Lifetime Warranty".... there simply is NOT! You buy a Ridgid branded power tool (not a plumbing tool or a shop vac) and you will find it clearly marked on the box, on the signs at Home Depot, and here on the website... that the WARRANTY is THREE YEARS!!!! No registration is required, but like with all things, you must have a receipt. (Really now, is there any warranty that doesn't required some proof of purchase?)

How much money are they paying you to shill for Rigid?
                          Their own website says they have a lifetime warranty. Right here:
                          RIDGID Warranty - RIDGID Professional Tools

Says it applies to all tools for the lifetime of the tool.

Do you actually do any work with their tools? Because it seems you spend most of your day posting here and defending Rigid.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug_Davis View Post
                            Says it applies to all tools for the lifetime of the tool.
                            No, it doesn't say that anywhere.
                            "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Doug_Davis, what credential do you possess that gives you the right to come here and insult one of the long time and respected members of this group? Not only do you speak from the chair of ignorance about the subject you claim to know about, you can't even spell the name of the Company correctly.
                              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Working...
                              X