Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

dado blade question.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • dado blade question.

    Santa was good to me this year... He got me a fued 8" dado stack.....along with a kreg miter gauge with a precision flip stop.. and a few packs of bench cookies. Now the question I have is I have never used a dado blade before so I am wondering if there are any safety tips I should be aware of? I will be using it on my ts3650....which I am trying to use it to it's full potential.

  • #2
    Re: dado blade question.

    There is really only one safety tip when it comes to saw blades and it applies to any kind of saw blade, keep your body parts away from it when its spinning.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: dado blade question.

      What BadgerDave said, plus I would suggest you make some zero clearance inserts for the widths you are going to dado. I have the exact same dado set with the 3650. I used 1/2 inch plywood, but you could use mdf, or hardwood.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: dado blade question.

        Originally posted by Snailman View Post
        What BadgerDave said, plus I would suggest you make some zero clearance inserts for the widths you are going to dado. I have the exact same dado set with the 3650. I used 1/2 inch plywood, but you could use mdf, or hardwood.
        Snailman - I am finishing setting up an actual woodshop, as opposed to random tools in random places, and need to make some ZCI's. I am not at my saw right now, but wondering, do you have to do any routing or anything to make them from the 1/2" ply? Do you use set screws to shim them at all?

        I have a lot of scrap of this around and it would be great if I can utilize it for this purpose.

        I would greatly appreciate any input from you.

        Thanks
        Jim

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: dado blade question.

          Using a sacrifical (wooden) fence will also help you cut safely, cleanly, and avoid damaing your fence.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: dado blade question.

            Yes, there are some safety tips:

            1. Always make sure you have full threads showing on the arbor after you tighten the nut. That means you do not use the outside washer for cuts wider than about 1/2" on the 3650.

            2. Evenly stagger the two-toothed-chippers, and make sure no teeth are against each other when you tighten the stack down.

            3. Never use a chipper without both outside blades.

            4. If using shims, make sure they are not caught in the arbor threads before tightening the stack.

            5. Use a good push block and/or feather boards, etc to keep the wood down on the table. Light pieces of wood will have a tendency to ride up going over the blade. Don't get in the habit of using your hand to push down on the wood over the dado blade. If you get into this habit, sooner or later you will be pushing down when the wood exits the cutter, and will dado your hand!!.

            6. Be aware of kick-back. The teeth on the dado blade, being just above the table surface, are coming straight at you, and will launch the wood back at you easily. Keep steady positive pressure on the work entirely through the cut.

            Not trying to scare you. Just be aware that the resistance against the cut and the pressure needed to get an even depth are a bit different process than just ripping some stock.

            The 8" Freud stack is a good match to the 3650. I use one on mine.

            Go
            Practicing at practical wood working

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: dado blade question.

              Originally posted by Gofor View Post

              4. If using shims, make sure they are not caught in the arbor threads before tightening the stack.

              5. Use a good push block and/or feather boards, etc to keep the wood down on the table. Light pieces of wood will have a tendency to ride up going over the blade. Don't get in the habit of using your hand to push down on the wood over the dado blade. If you get into this habit, sooner or later you will be pushing down when the wood exits the cutter, and will dado your hand!!.
              Pay close attention to these two. I'm using a Delta 35-7670 set on my 3650 and find that the shims catch in the treads of the arbor shaft often when installing. I have read posts where the blades were not tighten properly, the teeth started hitting each other and flying off the blade. I always initially spin up the dado blade while standing low and to the side just as a precaution. I also have experienced plywood wanting to lift up when cutting dados, not the scariest thing but not comfortable either.
              Last edited by PMR413; 01-01-2012, 09:58 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: dado blade question.

                I use these to shim my dado set when needed.
                Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: dado blade question.

                  Originally posted by franklin pug View Post
                  Using a sacrifical (wooden) fence will also help you cut safely, cleanly, and avoid damaing your fence.
                  +1

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X