No announcement yet.

Dado question

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dado question

Last fall I bought a cheapo HSS dado set from sears and it was garbage. I took it back a week ago, and Friday I bought a 6" carbide set from rockler, I set it up Friday night after putting the finishing touches on my "TS4008". Made a couple test cuts and got smooooth flat bottom, untill I made successive passes ie, making a half lap or tennon. The outside saws are Beveled and cut a coulpe hairs deeper than the chippers. I don't see a problem with a closed tennon, but something like a half lap or others that might be seen, any suggestions, comments. I really do like the cut and could probably live with it. Its like a cadilac compared to the Sears model. I should also mention it runs so smooth and balanced. Cost was $40.

A small extra depth of cut on the outer edges is normal. This reduces chipout on the edge of the dado, a particular problem in plywood.

Your Sharpener can regrind the set to cut completely flat. It often takes a little convincing that you aren't going to come back griping about chipout, though. The whole set will need to be done to maintain a flat cut.

I would agree with Dave my sharpener reground my dado set to cut very flat with no high outside cuts. On the TS2400 dados come out smooth and deadly accurate.

As the Great Knowledgable Dave A. has said, that is normal. In the case of a dado that is not seen at it's end, it's a good thing. It adds a little room for glue to settle into, instead of squeezing out.

In the case it is seen, set the depth for the outside cutters, not the chippers, and use a good sharp chisel and slice the bottom of the dado so it matches up. I always set the depth by the cutters, and clean it up with a chisel anyways for better accuracy.

The ultimate is to use a router table, but in some cases, a dado is prefered, but not often. Just in really wide panels that isn't feasable to use on the router table.
        John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"\" target=\"_blank\"></a>

I ran into the same problem, after a while, I figured I could cut the dado a little shallower than the needed depth and I would the finish it up at the correct depth on the router table. You probably wonder why I don't just use the router. Well, the dado is faster and I don't "stress out" my router which is only a 2HP.

If you watch Norm, Whenever he has a Half lap joint that can be seen, I see him use a regular blade and nibble away as to avoid the "gouges". When he makes a joint that won't be seen, I watch him use the dado. Maybe he just alternates techniques, but I think there is something to that method.