X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working on the new basement workshop

I spent a lot of time cleaning and organizing so that I could make room to, well...clean and organize!

Second Wind Workshop: CO Workshop Update #3 - Planning

I've never had a basement workshop before. I've always been in the garage. Any tips from you dungeon dwellers are greatly appreciated!
    Attached Files
    Pete
    My Blog - Second Wind Workshop
    http://secondwindworkshop.blogspot.com/

Re: Working on the new basement workshop

The only thing I see at first glance is when you use your work table as a saw extension, (nice to be able to use it that way), but having some roller stands or other extensions, will make building some thing much less time consuming clearing the table and cutting and then putting the project back on the table and possibly needing to move it, again to cut some more.

I made one time, a set of narrow tables about 8" to 12" wide and about 6 foot long, with the two narrow units I could set out to the sides for wide sheets, and or out the back side of the saw to help manage the stock and even with the assembly table if all the same height if some thing is odd shaped one can put one out to help support it,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

It would be a good idea to get an air scrubber if you can afford one (or perhaps check kijiji for a used one). Being in a basement is much more confining than being in a garage, and the dust can find its way to other parts of your home.

Do you use forced air for your home's heating?

Comment

Sound insulation between the shop area and the living areas is something to consider if you haven't already. The ceilings and walls common to the house could be sound insulated easily if the walls are not already finished on both sides. If they are it can still be done but not as easy.

As far as laying out the space you might consider moving the lumber storage racks closer to the point of use near the TS where you will begin rough cutting your stock. You have the jointer, planer, and TS grouped together which I see as good as these three tools form the work triangle that you will cycle through when roughing your material to approximate size. Then having a storage rack or cart to receive the rough cut pieces for a project and keep them grouped together is nice. If it's 20 feet away across the room that represents a lot of steps and time back and forth. That wing off the main room would be a nice area to set up your lathe and grinder, maybe better yet put the lathe in front of the double window where the DP is so you can take advantage of the natural light there. Stick your dust collector back in the corner where the mini lathe is; then your drum of chips is relatively close to the door when its time to haul it away. If you choose to keep the lumber storage where it is maybe think about rotating the TS, jointer, and planer around 180° so you working position is closer to the lumber racks.
        Last edited by Bob D.; 01-01-2012, 02:46 PM.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I have both a dust collector and an air filter in my basement shop. You could get by with just a dust collector however the air filter really does a much better job of cleaning the air of those dangerous really small dust particles. I highly recommend you get both and by dust collector I don't mean a shop vac. A shop vac that is properly setup with drywall bags and HEPA filter will do an excellent job when hooked to a ROS and possibly even your TS but will be worthless with your planer and jointer.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

You've got some nice room (footage) down there, thanks to a niced size basement. Also an advantage is that you've got a "walk-out" basement it appears.

As previously mentioned, a big challenge will be dust. That is one of the reasons that I'm looking forward to moving out of my (much smaller) basement and out to my garage. It won't be as conveniently accessed as the basement, but the noise and dust challenges will be far less in the garage.

One of the things you need to take into account is simply access to the particular tools... infeed and outfeed space. For example, the location of your thickness planer doesn't appear to offer much "out-feed" room; but I'm presuming that the tool may be mobil, in which case you move it as you need it.

In my basement shop, I have a couple of tools that are in fixed position (my RAS, Drill Press, and Woodworking bench), everything else is mobil and I can move it into position as I need it. Problem of course is that it's a "ShopSmith" approach and necessitates re-arrangement for different tasks. But that is one of the challenges of being in a compact work area (my basement shop is about 11.5 x 23, which is partitioned with a four-ft-wide door in the middle.

The other challenge is moving wood stock into the shop and then manuevering it through the varios processes. In your shop you've got some great room, but still I think you'll fine yourself making changes in an effort to facilitate the work and movement. But afterall, shops are most always a "work-in-progress" and to that end, I think I'd be hesitant to anchor anything into a permanent position. (At least for the first few weeks/months, until you are absolutely sure of it's final "workability".)

Happy New Year!

CWS

Comment

in a smaller and semi confined space a lot will come by trial and error, I would be sure that I have adequate out lets for the tools in different locations,
              especially if there not standard 120 plugs, for example, wire so the Table Saw can be plugged in at the other end of the shop, the jointer can be moved to different locations, and other tools as well, it is great to draw up a plan, but in most instances you can not for see all the possibilities and problems, thus adjustments may be necessary, and if you have "Planed" for the unplanned, it make it simple, and some times you may readjust for just one project, and move things back t original locations. all I am saying is stay flexible, and plan for some flexibility, if you have large spaces it is easer to Pre set things up and have it work as many times you have the "room" to do that, and to set up work centers, but sometimes you just have adjust your space to the work being done,

and once you think you got it all figured out, you will get that next machine you have always wanted and have to start in again.
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback guys! Good stuff!

BHD, good idea on the narrow tables. I've found myself in that very spot in past shops...too much stuff on the table so I wheeled the saw around and used a couple flip-top stands to make cuts. I like the idea of a couple narrow tables that could serve other functions.

I was planning on snatching up one of the HF 2HP dust collectors on special with the New Year's day coupon, but I wouldn't be able to set it up for another few weeks. I think I'll divert funds to finishing the walls and sound-proofing (and dust-proofing) the shared walls and ceiling for now.

Would you guys go for the air filtration unit before the dust collector? I do have a big shop vac (Ridgid, of course) that has served me well to this point. Seems like keeping fine dust out of the lungs would take priority over eliminating some extra sweep-up time.

Bob, you got me re-thinking that small area off to the side. Not only would all the lumber be on the other side of the shop, but if I had to get back to all that plumbing access I would have to move loaded up wood racks. I was planning to place the racks strategically so I could access the plumbing, but it would be tight and a real headache if I had to do something major in there. Maybe I could use that area as the tool coral for all the mobile stuff and the dust collector and air compressor, once I add those to the shop.

Thanks again guys!
                Pete
                My Blog - Second Wind Workshop
                http://secondwindworkshop.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                X