Why Should I Buy An EB4424 Oscillating Spindle/Belt Sander

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why Should I Buy An EB4424 Oscillating Spindle/Belt Sander

Hello! I'm new to the forum but a few older posts here helped me make the decision to restore (to working condition) an older RIDGID (EB44240) so I thought I would register to share this.

Awhile back I was at a seller's storage unit to buy a used dust collector when I saw this belt sander in the corner. After inquiring about it, he told me it was a RIDGID Oscillating Edge Belt/Spindle Sander. I asked what he wanted for it and he said 20 bucks.
    For such a low price, at least I could try it out (even if it were missing a few items).

I took it home where it sat, used only a few times. The 90 degree edge I was trying to achieve on plywood turned out ok but not perfect. Also, I found that I couldn't remove the belt sander assembly from the shaft for some reason. I wasn't very impressed.

Time passed and I was wanting a Grizzly oscillating sander. I reasoned I needed it because I could get the table square to the work piece. After watching the price rise on the Grizzly, I finally ordered one.

Soon, I started to feel guilty that I hadn't done all that I could with the RIDGID oscillating sander. After a Google search, I found this forum and read all the praise others had for the EB4424. I cancelled the Grizzly order.

I had already purchased the missing parts, replacement sandpaper sleeves and belt from Gardner Inc. (800) 848-8946.
    It all came to $50.99 shipped.

I ended up drilling out the inner flat area of the coupler that had captured the threads on the motor's shaft. This was the problem that wouldn't allow the removal of the Edge Belt Sander Assembly. RIDGID has since redesigned this area on the newer models.

After cleaning the unit up and oiling the set screws in the Table Insert, I squared the table per the user manual. Installed the 2" barrel and sanded down the edge of a ukulele mold. The results were a perfect 90 degree edge that required no truing up.

The sander runs smoothly and at half the speed of the Grizzly, it's not so fast that your piece gets away from you. I was able to spin the the sandpaper roll on the drum if pressed too aggressively.

So, for the above costs and some elbow grease, I was able to restore an older EB44240 and was able to achieve that perfect edge I was looking for.

Would I pay 199.00 to the Home Depot for a brand new one? Absolutely!

Best of luck in your decision to buy one.
    Thank you to all who posted the positive thoughts on the RIDGID EB4424.
    It helped me to make the decision to save money and do better.

Comment

BadgerDave,
      I got mine used off of CL, and use it all the time and have not had any paint wear off. I didn't even realize there was aluminum on the top and assumed it was molded plastic, but never bothered to pay attention really. For sure nothing has ever marked or marred my work except for me and my general at times ineptness.

Comment

Cato, I've been hoping to find one on CL but they never, and I do mean never, seem to be listed on any of the CL within a 100 miles of Madison. That fact actually tells me that all the owners around here must really like them. HD just sent me a card with a 10% off coupon on it, good till 3/19, so I think I really should go bite the bullet and buy one. Of course, as soon as I buy one there will be a CL ad for one within a month of me buying it.
        ================================================== ====
        ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

BadgerDave just go out and finally purchase the thing!
          I also have one and although I don't use it daily it really does an excellent job
          when I do use it!

I have used both the spindle sanders and the belt sander and they are both
          well worth the purchase of the tool.

There is enough flex in the spindles to allow you to press hard but typically you should have a
          light touch and have the machine do the work.
          Also get one of those sanding belt rubber cleaners it will give your sanding spindles a longer life.
          I think you can even get away with using the rubber sole of an old tennis shoe as a cleaner.

After market sanding belts and spindles are readily available and I even think Home Depot
          now carries the correct size sanding belt in the Norton brand and the spindles in a package under the
          Ridgid name. I have 80, 100 and 120 grit types.

Cactus Man

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
            BadgerDave just go out and finally purchase the thing!
            Took your advice and bought one the day before you told me too.
            ================================================== ====
            ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Working...
            X