X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Should I Buy An EB4424 Oscillating Spindle/Belt Sander

I already own a belt/disc sander but am considering getting the Ridgid EB4424 sander. My dilemma is that I'm having a hard time justifying pulling the trigger on one because I'm not sure if I really will gain much by adding this to the shop. I know that the EB4424 receives rave reviews from owners and others who've reviewed it and the quality of the machine is not in question here. What I'm interested in finding out from owners is whether or not they primarily use this sander in the spindle mode or belt mode. Considering that I already have a belt/disc sander would I be better off buying a stand alone spindle sander instead of the Ridgid combo unit?
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Re: Why Should I Buy An EB4424 Oscillating Spindle/Belt Sander

I owned a belt/disc sander for years before I bought my EB4424, now it mostly collects dust. I can use the EB4424 for most everything I used the larger sander for and I get better results - mostly due to the oscillating feature, but also because it has a platform to rest the stock on rather that just holding it. The majority of the time that I use the belt feature in to sand tapered legs from the band saw, but it is also handy sanding small projects (like a jewelry box) that are too small for a ROS.

Honestly I haven't even thought about my old belt/disc sander until this post. Maybe I should sell it rather than dusting it.

I use the spindle about twice as much as the belt. I'm very happy with the performance of both and while not stain ready after sanding, a little work with a card scraper gets it there in a few minutes.

I very much like its size and space is always a premium in my shop.

Comment

BD, The really big question here is--Will it fillet a walleye? Oops, sorry, I forgot........

Comment

Badger Dave,
        I tend to use the belt sander mode more than the spindle mode, but man is it handy and quick to change over from one to the other!! I use the spindle more for light shaping or easing edges where I might just have specific spots that need some attention.

Dust collection actually works rather well on this sander.

Comment

BD, probably use the belt a bit more than the spindle. The way it oscillates, and with the various grits available, you can either hog off wood or do many of the things that a spindle will do by using the ends of the belt. This is a big go-to tool in my shop. And, not being the greatest band or jigsaw user, this tool really saves my old XXXX! If this tool quit me tomorrow I would go directly to HD and purchase another and worry about getting the old one fixed later.

BIG G

Comment

I have been thinking of getting too Dave. What stops me is I wish it had a slightly larger (as in longer) belt which I believe (but maybe I'm wrong) would make it more effective on longer pieces of stock. The next step up in a horizontal belt sander takes you into the big guns which my shop does not have the room for. But, and I have put this out there in the past, if RIDGID make a big brother to the EB4424 that used a 4x36" or 6x48" belt; the same size as the belt sanders that many people have in their shops now; I would buy one in an instant. I may be wrong but to me the flat area of the horz belt is only about 8 inches if that. Doesn't like it lends itself to producing nice flat smooth edges.

Currently I have a combination 6x48" belt/12" disc/3" spindle sander made by Palmgren for Craftsman and it is in my opinion not a quality product. The spindle feature can be oscillated or not, and while it is very easy to switch from one mode to the other, the mechanics of how the spindle is oscillated are poorly implemented rendering the oscillating mode pretty much useless. The 12" disc works fine and the 6x48" is also good but lately I have had trouble with the belt tracking and haven't figured out why yet. It has built-in dust collection for each sander with a internal fan that pumps the dust out to a collection bag but I have it feeding into my DC system. Between the DC suction and the built-in fan dust collection is very good. The unit is very heavy, about 300#. It is a bench top model so no stand or legs included nor provision for attaching any so it takes up bench space. Since the spindle has been such a PITA I have stopped using it and got a Jet spindle sander last Christmas (2010) from the LOML and it is excellent.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1a105d47a5c8c1cf8a9b3fc4270d6274.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	15897

So if I could find a sander like the EB4424 which had a little bigger belt I would trash the sander I have now. I would probably get a stand alone 12" disc sander. That would mean three tools to take the place of the one but I could put them on mobile stands and wheel them out of the way when not needed which I can't do now with the Craftsman sander.
            Last edited by Bob D.; 01-07-2012, 07:21 AM.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
              BD, The really big question here is--Will it fillet a walleye? Oops, sorry, I forgot........
              Ouch!

Comment

"Great minds" or what?

I've also been seriously considering the EB and I too have a belt/disk sander (mine is the Ryobi BD4600, which I've had for several years now). I decided to set aside some of my Christmas gift $ and I'm more than half way there on the EB.

So, here is my take:

First off, I use the disc on my Ryobi unit only rarely. Considering that you can only use half of the diameter surface (that half that is spinning downward), a six-inch disc doesn't do much for me... even then, you can only use the outer-most area of that disc with any efficiency. Likewise, spending a lot more money on just a larger disc doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I think buying a 10-in sanding disc to replace the blade on my RAS would be a wiser purchase... but even that, wouldn't be an expense that I'd take, as I prefer to keep my tools dedicated to the purposes for which they were designed.

The belt portion of the Ryobi is okay, but can be very aggressive and you really don't have any support area for the work piece... just try to keep the workpiece square, so the surface is evenly applied on the belt.

However, the EB, offers the table surface as support so you can "ease into the belt", and maintain an angle. That alone gives a very distinct advantage over my Ryobi and those traditional "belt/disc" designs, IMHO. The way I look at it, is you've got a heck of a lot more suface on the belt when compared to almost any conveniently (and economically) sized disc too... and yet, you're working at the same angle that I would be with the Ryobi disc; and the table/support area is significantly larger.

Of course a larger belt sander would be nice, but then "economics" is always a challenge for me, not to mention room in the shop. (The only question I have at this point was whether or not the "EB" allows you to pass your work piece across the face of belt... seems that I recall some kind of bracket or something on the left-bottom side, at or near, the table surface. (I'll have to take a look, the next time I'm at HD.)

The plus with the "EB", of course is the spindle, and the variety of diameter sizes that come with the tool. About the only inside diameter thing I can do on the Ryobi is the two-plus inch roller on the right-end of the horizontal belt... and at that position you have absolutely no support for the work piece.

I could just add a sanding drum set to my DP1550 drill press, but that of couse doesn't oscillate and it would entail putting side pressure on the chucked-in drum... the drill press and it's taper fitting isn't designed to handle a lot of side pressure, IMO... so, I prefer not to go that route.

Which would be used more (spindle or belt), pretty much depends on the kind of work each of us has a preference for. Normally, I don't do a lot of curve or large hole stuff; but at the moment, I'm making a locking bar for a friend's gun cabinet and I need to sand the ID of several "barrel" positions and the only way I can do that now is manually. So except for the occasional "curve" project, the belt will get a lot more use in my shop projects. But as I previously stated, using the belt on the EB appears to offer me a lot more control and accuracy than on on my Ryobi BD4600.

I hope this is helpful,

CWS
                Last edited by CWSmith; 01-07-2012, 06:18 PM. Reason: Slight rewording, sentence addition, corrections.

Comment

I sure like mine better than my small belt/disc sander. I use both the spindle and the belt. There are lots of times when a spindle is the only way to go.

Comment

Great tool and I use it often. The only problem I have with it is that the table leaves marks on the underside of the piece I am sanding. You can see the areas on the table where it is wearing. I took it to an authorized dealer and I'm waiting for a response from them.

Comment

I have a large general belt sander 6x48 and injoy have the smaller Ridgid sander as its safer for me to use the smaller sander because its less aggressive and doesnt take the wood off as fast..,,I use it more then the general.

Comment

It's a great machine and with the oscillating feature you can't go wrong. I bought it to use the spindle the most.

Red
                        Red

Comment

I am oh so close to pulling the trigger on the EB4424 but I keep seeing one complaint about this sander that has prevented me from getting it. A number of people are claiming that the paint on the aluminum table will eventually wear off and when it does the bare aluminum tends to leave marks on the workpiece. I had this exact issue with a router table I used to own and that was one of the main reasons why I got rid of it. Are the people who claim that this is a real problem an isolated few or is this something that you owners of the EB4424 just live with? Additional after the fact hand sanding just to remove black marks caused by the table would IMO be a very big negative for a machine that seems to get such high marks from most reviewers for every other function.

Comment

BD,

I haven't bought it yet either, at the moment I'm simply out of space. But also, I'm wondering about the short belt too. It would be nicer if the belt surface was simply a bit bigger... but then, I can't help but take "another look" everytime I go into the HD and I really do need and want a spindle sander, which I probably would use most.

About the aluminum table, I'm not so sure that is a problem so formidable that it can't be easily overcome. My Ryobi BT3100 (and my portable BTS-21) table saw has a similar finish, and I just keep it waxed. The wax provides the wear surface to some degree and the stock moves across it much easier. I don't see why "wax" wouldn't protect the finish on the EB4424 to a similar degree (and perhaps more so, as the stock movement would probably be less)

I have an aluminum table on by little Ryobi BT901 bandsaw and I was never really pleased with it. It appeared to be neither anodized or coated, even with paint and it did look pretty ugly after a couple of years. I just took it off one day and sanded it down with some 240 grit, and then went to 2000 wet/dry and a final Brasso. It's got an almost mirror finish on it now and is very smooth. A couple of coats of Butcher's wax keeps it that way, and I have no oxidation or black marks to deal with.

I haven't taken a close look at that top with this subject in mind, but IIRC, the top is pretty smooth, except for a few pattern recesses, isn't it? So, I figure that on the day I finally pick up this tool I'll simply give it a couple of coats of wax and continue to do so until such time that any wear makes it ugly. Then I'll just sand off the factory finish on the raised surfaces and keep them polished and waxed.

(I also keep the bottom surfaces on my circular and sabre saw waxed also. I'm not doing a lot of cutting as if I was framing a house, so waxing is only an occasional need. But it helps keep those surfaces "smooth" and free of any rust.)

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

I bought one recently, mounting it on it's own bench. I have found the belt sander works very well. I have used the spindle more than the belt, but that's was the intention. The dust collection is very well designed and keeps dust to a minimum, which the wife is more thrilled than I am about. Over all an excellent machine for the money!
                              "Don't baffle me with B.S., Dazzle me with Brilliance"

Comment

Working...
                              X