Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• biscuit join 2x4's

I have to construct a frame using 2x4
    Would joining the pieces using biscuit good enough?

- Jimmy

What this here frame got to hold up to, Jimmy? Biscuits could keep it from falling apart under it's own weight, but might not be adequate for other purposes.

Dave

Comment

Would a lap joint or mortice and tenon be better for a heavier duty application?

I basically want to make a rigid rectangular frame.

- Jimmy

Comment

Jimmy---you have to remember 2x4s are pretty much for rough work, so agree with Dr. Buckle---I think you'd find lap joint, with glue and screws your best bet. Made a couple of gates for the yard that way and they've held up great.
        Dave

Comment

Not to mention that 2x4s are not the most stable mateial in the world and are often not very dry.

Comment

Biscuits are great for aligning face surfaces. My opinion is they dont add to the strength of a joint. Better with mortise and tenon, or a half lap joint. Depends on the application and what its for. Just MHO
            <a href=\"http://www.woodshopphotos.com/gallery/Ralphs-workshop\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodshopphotos.com/gallery/Ralphs-workshop</a><br /><br />I can fix anything......where\'s the duct tape ?? :-)

Comment

If you're building a rectangular frame, it not only needs to support tension and compression, but just as importantly, it should support torsion, aka torque, aka racking forces. Adding a diagonal member across the rectangle will all but eliminate racking, whereas the nicest joints at the rectangle corners will do very little in comparison. Adding a panel to the face of the rectangle can provide support similar to a diagonal member.

Comment

Thanks for all the input. I am planning to add a board to the frame to increase the stability.
                I will post pictures when I am done w/ this project.

-Jimmy

Comment

pocket holes are quick and easy, and make strong joints.

Comment

I use a Kreg jig and love it. It can pocket hole 1/2-1 1/2 " wood. Fast,easy,accurate and stong. I use kiln dried 2x4 and am very selective at the store for which ones to buy. That can take a while. By the way I almost never use my biscuit jointer anymore, Kreg claims that their joint is as strong as a mortise. I am inclined to believe it.

Comment

Working...
                    X