X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS2424 Outfeed Table

I've been a voyeur on this site for several weeks now since I've gotten the TS2424. I've seen the plans for the the folding outfeed table and they look good. It dawned on me that I wouldn't be able take off my sawguard/splitter once the table is attached.
    I use crosscutting sleds and the like so the easy removal of the splitter/guard is a pleasure.
    Do people usually discard their stock splitter. Are there any after market versions available
    That can fit the TS2424? Are they that important?

TC, I had the same concerns.

I am woking on a modified version of the folding outfeed table that among other features,is going to have a removeable insert where the splitter attaches. The splitter only moves from center to one side, so the insert only needs to be about 4" x 4"...maybe a bit larger to make the splitter easier to insert and attach.

It is a work in progress, so I have no pictures to post, but it is something to consider.
    Mark

Comment

I'm also in the process of building an outfeed table. Such a project makes for easier handling of stock and can be a real safety advantage---but not if you remove the splitter or guard to do it! Yes, the splitter is important in preventing kickback. Of course the guard is equally as important.

I think I saw this design and rejected it for those reasons, but also because I need easy mobility. The design I'm working on, simply drops in to a cleat on the back of the saw, with legs supporting the back---If my efforts work, it will fold up flat and can be put away in seconds.

Rigid has one of the best guards/splitters in that it's the easiest to remove/install. I sure would hate to see 2424 and 3612 owners compromising this great design for one version of an outfeed table.
      Dave

Comment

I used these plans from Wood's website. It includes making a cut in the outfeed table so that you can still use the stock guard and splitter. It also has you make the cut so that you can still do a full 45 degree bevel with the guard in place. Since this means you have an opening wider than the splitter, you can easily remove the guard when you need to and re-attach it without removing the table. I do it all the time on mine. I also modified mine to use two legs for more stability.

[ 01-31-2003, 11:44 PM: Message edited by: Stuart H ]

Comment

Stuart--nice shop! Yes, that design gave me some ideas and another, had a connection system designed to work with the Biesemeyer rails, which I have. I don't know why these designs would think of eliminating a spot for the splitter?

Thanks
          Dave

Comment

Stuart--nice shop! Thanks, Dave. I also don't know why they would want to eliminate the splitter. My guess would be that the people designing them don't use a guard/splitter themselves, and so the consideration of one is not in their thought process. You would think they would want to include them simply from a liability standpoint, though, if nothing else.

Comment

This is just my back woods way of thinking I guess, but I don't like the idea of the out feed table attached to the table saw. I want it a little more versatile than just catching stock coming off the back of the saw.
              I wanted something that would handle full sheets of plywood if I was ripping narrow strips off the side, or catch both halfs if spliting in two by the width. I wanted adjustable heigth, and portability.
              So I built probably the most inexpensive, most versatile table in my shop that has more uses than I can think of.
              Feel free to take a look.
              http://www.woodys-workshop.com/Proje.../OFtable_1.htm

[ 02-02-2003, 04:15 AM: Message edited by: UO_Woody ]
              John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think my backup plan was more in line with Woody's way of thinking. I like the multi purpose table idea.
                Although I think I'm going to put mine on a set of casters so that I can slide it over as a set up table if needed.
                Now I just have to tell myself that I can take a break from what I am doing to get this done. I have so many ideas whirling around my head. So little time.

Comment

UO_Woody - nothing wrong with your way of thinking. If I had the space, I would have either built a large, permanent table around my saw or built something like you described. The reason for hanging the table off the saw is so that you can keep the saw mobile and fold it down to take up about 1" more space than the saw does by itself. If you have the space, a larger table would be ideal in many cases.

Comment

Woody's got the idea...mine is very similar...I have now added the top and the other two legs [it was clamped to the saw] and now it's got four casters on it. There are two other tables that fit under it....you can see all on the HWW web site.

Having four legs and wheels makes it easy to use the table either way and also makes for an easy swing away for using the blade at 45*.

[ 02-03-2003, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: KellyC ]
                    Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

Working...
                    X