No announcement yet.

Freud "Quadra Cut" Raised Panel Router Bit Review

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freud "Quadra Cut" Raised Panel Router Bit Review

I am currently building a kitchen Island, and I need to build some raised panel doors to match the existing kitchen. Typically, I make doors and end panels with 1/4 inch plywood panels, but I want to use a raised panel on this project to match the rest of the kitchen.

Anyways, since I typically don't make raised panels, I needed to buy a bit. I bought a Freud Quadra-Cut 3.5" Ogee raised panel bit (model 99-520). It is a newer addition to the Freud Line up, and has 4 cutting edges. I thought it would be a good investment for my collection, so i bought one for 99.00.

I did some test cuts this afternoon, and I am really impressed with this bit. The bit cut through the brown maple test piece like butter. I used a series of 3 passes on a 2.5 HP router set at 12,000 RPM.

The results were excellent. Here are some photos. I havn't done any sanding or touch up to the work piece. This is directly off the router.

Click image for larger version

Name:	router bit resize.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	15921Click image for larger version

Name:	panel 3 resize.jpg
Size:	275.6 KB
ID:	15922Click image for larger version

Name:	panel 2 resize.jpg
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	15924Click image for larger version

Name:	panel 1 resize.jpg
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	15923

To be fair, however, I didn't do any cross grain cuts - I didn't have a panel size piece of scrap lying around. When I make the panels for the island, I'll update this review and post a pic or two.

The dust was a bit more than what I am used to. There were also some "fluffy" sections of saw dust, very light. This is probably from the extra two cutters shaving over the profile.

Overall, I am impressed and will buy more of the Quarda-Cut bits. I typically use Lee Valley Bits, but will now buy the Freud if available in the same profile.

Last edited by franklin pug; 01-14-2012, 04:36 PM. Reason: more photos

Re: Freud "Quadra Cut" Raised Panel Router Bit Review

I have two of their quadra-cut bits, not a panel raiser butthey have been great for me. I would consider buying more next time i need a bit. Glad to hear you are happy with yours.
    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

Time, cost, or quality; pick any two but you can't have all three.

I have the quadra-cut cove panel raising bit from Freud as well as the rail and stile bits from Lee Valley. I built my kitchen with them and was very impressed with them. I was going to use a cheaper bit that I got off ebay, but I'm glad I got the Freud. Very good results, especially on the end grain. I too used 3 passes with a 3.25 HP router. Mine has a back cutter, so I had to adjust the fence for each pass rather than raise the bit for each pass.

Anyway, to sum up, you've got a great bit, and should get some great results. I think the four cutters rather than two makes a big difference. Enjoy.

I see this is your first post doak. Welcome to the forum!