Freud "Quadra Cut" Raised Panel Router Bit Review

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freud "Quadra Cut" Raised Panel Router Bit Review

I am currently building a kitchen Island, and I need to build some raised panel doors to match the existing kitchen. Typically, I make doors and end panels with 1/4 inch plywood panels, but I want to use a raised panel on this project to match the rest of the kitchen.

Anyways, since I typically don't make raised panels, I needed to buy a bit. I bought a Freud Quadra-Cut 3.5" Ogee raised panel bit (model 99-520). It is a newer addition to the Freud Line up, and has 4 cutting edges. I thought it would be a good investment for my collection, so i bought one for 99.00.

I did some test cuts this afternoon, and I am really impressed with this bit. The bit cut through the brown maple test piece like butter. I used a series of 3 passes on a 2.5 HP router set at 12,000 RPM.

The results were excellent. Here are some photos. I havn't done any sanding or touch up to the work piece. This is directly off the router.

Name:  b7f6e69dfdd965061c71458876c172cf.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  190.4 KBName:  f038b4bd351306b41a9f3c0ecb421953.jpg
Size:  275.6 KBName:  8fbf943fdc524302785a6127bf293156.jpg
Size:  129.7 KBName:  62045004082a2939456c854c06e49e09.jpg
Size:  162.8 KB

To be fair, however, I didn't do any cross grain cuts - I didn't have a panel size piece of scrap lying around. When I make the panels for the island, I'll update this review and post a pic or two.

The dust was a bit more than what I am used to. There were also some "fluffy" sections of saw dust, very light. This is probably from the extra two cutters shaving over the profile.

Overall, I am impressed and will buy more of the Quarda-Cut bits. I typically use Lee Valley Bits, but will now buy the Freud if available in the same profile.

-pug
    Last edited by franklin pug; 01-14-2012, 04:36 PM. Reason: more photos

Re: Freud "Quadra Cut" Raised Panel Router Bit Review

I have two of their quadra-cut bits, not a panel raiser butthey have been great for me. I would consider buying more next time i need a bit. Glad to hear you are happy with yours.
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

I have the quadra-cut cove panel raising bit from Freud as well as the rail and stile bits from Lee Valley. I built my kitchen with them and was very impressed with them. I was going to use a cheaper bit that I got off ebay, but I'm glad I got the Freud. Very good results, especially on the end grain. I too used 3 passes with a 3.25 HP router. Mine has a back cutter, so I had to adjust the fence for each pass rather than raise the bit for each pass.

Anyway, to sum up, you've got a great bit, and should get some great results. I think the four cutters rather than two makes a big difference. Enjoy.

Comment

I see this is your first post doak. Welcome to the forum!

Comment

Working...
        X