X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: R4512 Setup Questions

Measuring from the inside of the front rail to the inside of the back rail on the left vs. the right side gives the same measurement - 27-1/16th - as close as I can tell with a tape measure. I've laid a 4' straight edge down on top of the front rail and along the front edge - no visible gaps. Somewhere along the line here I did re-check the wings and make sure they were level with the main table, etc. Still waiting on that new right front rail section - hopefully it'll be here sometime in the next week or so.

Comment

Is the fence skewing somehow causing it to bind. Does the same thing happen when you move then fence with equal pressure on both ends of the fence. Seems odd that it works as it should around the blade. Let us know how it goes installing the new rails. It is also a good idea to wax the rails at the same time as the table top. It makes a big difference on how smooth the fence slides on the rails.

Comment

I can't detect any skewing... doesn't mean it isn't happening, but I'm not seeing it. The rear fence clamp is clear by approx. 1/8" so its not touching anything that I can tell. I'll try and see if I can finesse it some by putting pressure on the back end as well.

Comment

Well... nuts. The replacement rail section showed up today. No tape installed on it, which is easy enough to fix. The fence now slides smoothly from side to side - except for a little bump where it crosses the seams, but all things considered, I'm okay with that.

Thats the good news. The bad news is that the fence still is giving me fits in terms of locking down straight and/or consistently. 5 thou out one time, 50+ thou out the next time. I'm going to keep working with it a bit, but if anyone has any tips - short of getting an Incra TS-LS fence (which I am kinda jones'in for ) I'm open...

Monte

Comment

Give a good coat of wax to the rails and the fence shouldnt stick when moving/ locking down. Being patient when you lock it down helps. Other than that i dont know what to say. Trouthfully I havent used mine enough to really notice if it is out at all when locking down the fence.

Comment

I've got a jig to hold my calipers in the miter slot (MAG-DRO) that I use... first use was to align the blade/trunnion with the miter slot (and yes, I did it the way FINER wanted this time), and then check the fence against the miter slot. Where I'm seeing the variation is I'll move the fence over within range of the measuring tool, lock down the fence, then measure front and back. One time it's only a few thou off, next time its 50+ thou off. I've tried the 'be patient' thing and if there's a rhyme or reason to how much its off and which way from one time to the next, I'm not seeing it.

Comment

Working...
              X