R4512 Setup Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4512 Setup Questions

So... got everything assembled - it lives!

Runs smooth, passes the nickel test with flying colors. Set the 45/90 stops w/ the aid of a Wixey digital angle gauge, squared the miter slots with the blade using a Mag-DRO miter slot base + my Mitutuoyo 6" digital calipers. Got the wings pretty flat and slightly below flush with the main table, and leveled the front and rear rails to the main table as well. I made some zero clearance throat plates out of 1/4" mdf for it (had to router the edges to thickness) so I can use my Freud 8" dado stack. I've got an Incra 1000SE miter gauge on the way to replace the stock one. The only big thing left to dial in is the fence.

Actually, I've kind of got two problems with the fence. One, I can't get it to lock down repeatably the same way twice for love nor money. I'll get it to where I think its lined up and acceptably parallel with the miter slot, and then loosen it, slide it, lock it down and check it again and it'll be out 20-50 thou. The second problem is that over the left wing, main table, and most of the right wing the fence slides just fine. Out over the edge of the right wing on out to the end of the fence rail... it seems to drop down and gouge in to the rail - literally gouging into the soft aluminum.

This is a pic of the clearance between the fence head and the rail, with the fence over on the left side of the main table:

This is a pic of the clearance between the head and rail, over by the outside edge of the right wing:

Another pic (other side) over by the right wing:

This pretty much renders the fence unusable out there. Not what I was hoping for...

Any suggestions?

TIA,

Monte

Re: R4512 Setup Questions

Originally posted by memilanuk View Post
    ....... squared the miter slots with the blade using a Mag-DRO miter slot base + my Mitutuoyo 6" digital calipers. .....Monte
    welcome to the forum. that 4512 is a fine looking TS and quite a value @ $500. (an even better value if purchased @ a HD that honors the harbor freight "20% off any single item" coupon...$400 ). FTR, you squared the blade with the miter slots, not the miter slots with the blade (the miter slots aren't adjustable on this saw, the blade is). nothing in the fence head should be scratching the front rail. perhaps the fence could be flipped over and a few pics of the underside of the head posted. have you contacted ridgid regarding the issue? if there is something inherently wrong with the rails, they might require replacement by ridgid. simplest thing to do might be to just return the saw for another one. ridgid does offer a 90 day satisfaction guarantee:

Power Tool Warranty - RIDGID Professional Tools

BTW monte..whatever happened over at the woodnet forum regarding this question on your 4512? looking to compare responses here with the ones you got there?
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Might be worth double checking the distance between the front and back rail along the full length of the rails. I have the same saw and when putting it together hesitated to install the extensions because I was waiting for cast iron extensions which I had ordered. I put on the steel extensions last weekend and since then have not thought to double check how the fence runs along the entire length of the rails. When I was installing the steel extensions I noticed that one was significantly longer (1/16 to 1/8) than the cast iron was front to back. This might skew the rails and cause the fence to bind.

Worth a look.

Comment

Thomas,

After reading your post, I thought "That must be it!". Unfortunately, when I got home and took ye ole tape measure to it... 27-1/16th at the left end, 27-1/16th at the end of the right wing, and 27-1/16th at the right end of the rails. Sure sounded good, though.

Monte

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
          welcome to the forum. that 4512 is a fine looking TS and quite a value @ $500. (an even better value if purchased @ a HD that honors the harbor freight "20% off any single item" coupon...$400 ).
          Unfortunately the local HD store doesn't go for the HF discount coupons. The nearest HF is over 2 hrs away, so its not like you're actually going to save much if anything by the time you drive tehre and back At any rate, it seemed like a pretty good deal even @ $529, so I'm good with that.

...nothing in the fence head should be scratching the front rail. perhaps the fence could be flipped over and a few pics of the underside of the head posted. have you contacted ridgid regarding the issue? if there is something inherently wrong with the rails, they might require replacement by ridgid. simplest thing to do might be to just return the saw for another one.
          Some pics of the bottom of the head:

I'm sorely tempted to just relieve that 'skirt' on the head that is rubbing on the rail. As near as I can tell, it doesn't serve any real purpose - just cosmetic. I have tomorrow off so hopefully I can get ahold of Ridgid CS. Fingers crossed!

Replacing parts is not a problem, but it was a pretty big chore getting the saw out of the truck and down the stairs to the basement shop by myself. I'm not real eager to have to return the whole saw - unless they let me set it up and test it *there* Hopefully it won't come to that.

..whatever happened over at the woodnet forum regarding this question on your 4512? looking to compare responses here with the ones you got there?
          Why, was that you posting under a different screen name

I appreciated the help; I just didn't feel it was going anywhere useful... more quibbling over which way the measuring tool should be oriented and less discussion of the actual problem. Sometimes that happens <shrug>
          Last edited by memilanuk; 01-18-2012, 04:31 PM.

Comment

If you look by the sight windows on the fence you will see a hole with a nylon screw by each one. Page 48 fig. 78 shows them. They are the angle adjustment screws for the fence. If they are improperly adjusted it can cause your problem. When it bought mine they were way out of adjustment. One was touching the front rail and the other was off by 1/6".
            Last edited by TOD; 01-18-2012, 07:30 AM.
            SSG, U.S. Army
            Retired
            K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Yep, I adjusted those so the top of the head is just below flush with the main table. Still drops down and back out over the right wing for some reason.

At what point do those 'moderator approval needed posts' get approved? I've had some in this thread (and another) waiting a day or more...? Kind of hard to talk things out when my posts disappear into a black hole...

Comment

You need to turn those screws in until they contact the front rail. The head of my screws are close to an 1/8" recessed.
                SSG, U.S. Army
                Retired
                K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Pretty sure we're talking about the same screws... and yes, I've already adjusted them. Any more, and the head will be higher than the main table.

Comment

Is the gap under the fence the same in the front as it is in the rear?
                    SSG, U.S. Army
                    Retired
                    K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Yes sir, about 3/16" at both ends.

Comment

[QUOTE=memilanuk;369279...more quibbling over which way the measuring tool should be oriented and less discussion of the actual problem. Sometimes that happens <shrug>[/QUOTE]

what may have appeared as quibling was an attempt to establish a consistent perspective for analyszing your problem. statements about what's happening are nowhere near as valuable as a picture of the condition or a video that demonstrates the problem.

on my much older than yours ridgid 2412 TS, my fence has begun to make very light scratches on the top of the front guide rail. it's being caused by the machine screw that holds the cursor indicator to the fence head. it isn't significant enough to affect alignment, and i'll trim the screw at some point. are you certain the round head screws shown in the flipped fence pic aren't intruding onto the front fence rail?

any chance for a short video demonstrating the fence lock down problem and the scratching issue?
                        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Do you have the spreader bar installed? Are you sure the fence is all the way down in the front where it is clearing the rail. Try turning in those nylon screws at the point it is draging on the front railjacking it up until it clears. There is no way that those nylon screws are contacting the rail where it clears if the fence if it drops down and drags the on the rail anywhere. Since you state that repeatablity if locking the fence is not possible where it clears I suspect you are not getting the front of the fence fully seated on the rail.
                          SSG, U.S. Army
                          Retired
                          K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Not sure if you can really see it in the pics I supplied above - there was a bit of a lag with the approval process so the post got inserted somewhat after the fact - but its not dragging *on top* so much as it is on the face of the curve of the rail away from the user. The nylon screws adjust up and down, but they do nothing for when the skirt of the head scrapes on the *inner* face of the rail. FWIW, Ridgid CS is sending me a new right rail - hopefully that'll be the easy fix.

Yes, the spreader bar is installed - and yes, I've already checked to see if the distance is consistent between left and right (someone already asked earlier in the thread).

Well, wife apparently took her good camera stuff with her to work, so I'm stuck with ye ole cell phone camera. Here ya go:

Pic of inner face of front rail, showing the strip where the fence head is scraping it:

Rough video of how things look in action (click on the image to go to Photobucket and view the video):

Last edited by memilanuk; 01-19-2012, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Damn, I just wrote an entire reply and then lost it. Here is the coles notes.

It would appear that the rails may be getting closer together as you pass the table top sections as the wear is on the outside of rht front rail. Look down the rails without the fence attached and see if they look straight and true.

Might be worth loosening and readjusting and reattaching the extension wings to be sure they are properly lined up with the table. I just installed cast extension wings and had to shim them about 1/16" in order for the rails to line up properly.

Comment

Working...
                              X