X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arbor Nut Tightness?

I bought a new Freud blade to replace the original blade supplied with the TS2424. When I got it on, and then got to tightening the arbor nut, it just didn't feel right to me. The nut never felt as though it was getting tight. Almost as if the threads of the arbor or the nut were stripped! I removed the nut and took a good look at the threads of both and they look fine but the way it feels I'm afraid to try tightening it any further. It's definitely not the same feel I get when tightening the nut on my RAS of over 20 yrs which is also an Emerson (Craftsman).

It has me baffled. Any ideas? TIA

John

JJ, I went out and checked the arbor nut on my TS2424. With the blade washer, but no blade, I can tighten it down. You might try removing the blade and seeing if the nut and washer together will tighten.

Always use the washer, and don't overtighten. I only use finger pressure to tighten my blades, works great.

Dave

Comment

John,

Just get that nut snug, When you turn on the machine the rotation of the arbor will do the rest. You do not need to get the arbor nut "farmer" tight (as tight as humanly possible). It just needs to be good and snug.

Jake

Comment

Thanks Jake. I do have a 'farmer tight' tendency (never heard this term). I really didn't think I was over tightening in this case though.

Dave, following your suggestion I took the blade off and tightened the nut down and all was well. Still puzzled about what was going on I investigated further and found that when snugging the arbor nut (with the blade blocked with a piece of wood) the motor shaft was actually turning inside the blade. The inner washer was also turning with the shaft and against the inside of the blade. My best guess for a reason is the slick coating they put on these blades nowadays.

Conclusion: I guess I was over tightening.
        [img]redface.gif[/img]

Thanks for the help.

John

Comment

I went to change the blade on my TS2424 and I only have one wrench that came with it and it does not fit the nut. As of right now I can not find my owner manual to figure out if I am missing a wrench. can anyone tell how many wrench is supposed to be with the TS2424?

Thanks....Scott

Comment

Scott,

You only need one wrench to loosen the nut. There is not spot on the arbor for a wrench. Simply place a piece of wood across the opening of the throat plate and turn the blade so that the teeth dig into the stock, then loosen the nut.

Jake

Comment

Tablesaws don't come with wrenches. They come with -templates- for wrenches, so that when you go to your favorite wrench vendor, you can easily match the proper size. When I replaced mine, I tossed the wrench template into the handy disposal bin sitting right next to the register.

My TS2424 uses a 1 1/16" (I'm pretty sure?) Craftsman combo wrench for blade changes. It is very easy to change a 5" radius blade with a 14" wrench. And if you don't overtighten the arbor nut, even easier still.

Dave

Comment

Watch it Dave with that wrench you could easily get that nut farmer tight

Comment

That's a good point, Jake. You do, of course, notice up the page a piece where I wrote: "I only use finger pressure to tighten my blades".

Dave

Comment

What does the wrench that comes with the 2424 fit? It has different sizes on each end. Neither of which fit the arbor nut.

Comment

Here ya go Scott.
                      http://www.ridgidparts.com/pdf/TS24240.pdf
                      Page 12 says you should have a blade wrench.
                      It doesn't say what it's supposed to fit though.

[ 06-13-2004, 09:36 PM: Message edited by: jaslfan ]

Comment

Working...
                      X