X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yellow board buddies

Thinking about getting a set of these, though they are bit pricey - 59.99 at Busy Bee Tools.

I like the idea of the buddies holding the stock against the fence and against the table at the same time. My concern is when ripping small pieces of stock (2" or less). It would be difficult to get a push stick in there with the buddies.

I know Badger has a set. Can anyone weigh in on how the buddies fair with ripping thinner stock (like ripping a 4" board in half, or ripping a 2" board down to 1 1/4")?

Buy Board Buddies Yellow For Table Saw - W1104 from Busy Bee Tools

Re: yellow board buddies

In that other thread where I provided the link to the Board Buddies I also provided a link to a magnetic feather board. That is what I use most of the time when I have to rip say a 4" wide board. The Board Buddies are a very effective safety tool but they are not necessarily the right tool for every job.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

First questions, then my thoughts.

The track (another $25) is listed as optional. How do you use these without the track? Do you screw them into your fence? How easy are they to adjust for different board thickness? Is a tool free adjustment or require wrenches? I'm sure that they are designed to have a bit a pressure on the top of the board to give pressure to guide the board to the rip fence, so the ability to adjust would seem important.

I have never used these and have never seen them in use, but I would rather use feather boards that would not would not limit my use of push sticks or require repositioning of my hands. I would think that the occasions they realistically increase safety over other devices would be rare. But, I haven't used them.

Comment

These look like they might be quite helpful in the shop. I could see using them on my router table as well. While the camera angle isn't the greatest the following video will answer your question about the push stick.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyDPnyeW6oA
        "Good enough" isn't really "good"...

Comment

I must be old school here, I go find a scrap of wood, cut an angle on it, take it to the band saw and cut some fingers, and make a feather board, and clamp it on the fence, and then take a longer unit, (the magnet feather board sounds kind a good thing), and clamp it to the table, on small parts I usually try to leave longer and then cut to length, but if need to be I take a nother scarp and use it like an extension of the piece I want to cut and push it clear through the blade,
          (I think most safety rules say do not pull things through the saw blade), I have not found pulling things through the best, the wheels look like a good idea on some things, I could see them for a lot of ripping, the thing that would most likely be the nicest thing is I am guessing they help pull things to the fence,

letting it set in the saw and set there while it is running is not a wise idea, (as in the video),
          using the guard in some of these instances IMO make manipulating the stock much harder, and by increasing the difficulty make the situation more dangerous, as one is trying to manipulate some thing under some thing else, (look how he reaches under the guard to push the stock),
          if the guard was removed one could use a sacrificial push stick or block and never get near the blade, or additional pieces of stock and push them through the cut,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

[QUOTE=BHD;369624]

..............letting it set in the saw and set there while it is running is not a wise idea, (as in the video),
            QUOTE]
            Totally agree with that statement. While the Borad Buddies do keep the stock forced against the fence, walking around the saw and pulling the stock through from the backside of the saw to finish off the cut is not a good idea. Someone with a 3HP saw, lots of experience and most of all a very sharp blade might be able to pull that off but I certainly would't recommend it for everyone.

Comment

Yes, I agree! I would never leave a workpiece on the table with a spinning blade - very dangerous. Buying a safety device, and then doing something else unsafe to use it seems backward to me.

So what do you think the thinnest rip one coud safely do with the buddies is (without having the buddies get in the way of a push stick, or having to pull the workpiece from the back of the saw)?

Comment

It depends on a number of variable such as the thickness of your push stick, the design of the push stick, whether or not there is or isn't a blade guard being used. So, as a very rough estimate, I'm gonna say somewhere in the neighborhood of 4½"-5".

Comment

couldn't one use a sacrificial scrap that is the same thickness as the workpiece and just push the workpiece through the cut?
                  there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by gadgetarian View Post
                    These look like they might be quite helpful in the shop. I could see using them on my router table as well. While the camera angle isn't the greatest the following video will answer your question about the push stick.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyDPnyeW6oA
                    Wow, if the answer to using push sticks is pulling the board through the cut, you can count me out. I still don't understand about the attachment to the fence. It looks like he is using the track in the video. BadgerDave, do you use the track? How would you use this product without it?

Comment

Originally posted by cjh20 View Post
                      ....... BadgerDave, do you use the track? How would you use this product without it?
                      If you have a Ridgid table saw, this is all you need to do, see response #7,
                      https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t40105/

Comment

Working...
                      X