Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nickel test

Folks,
    As you'll no doubt be able to tell from the following question, I'm relatively new to WW, but I thought I'd ask the pros:

What is the "Nickel Test"? How is it performed? and What will it tell me? I've seen it mentioned numerous times throughout these threads and get the impression it has to do with vibration testing.

I have a TS3650 and a Grizz Drill press.
    Thanks.

Stand a nickel on its edge on your tool, turn it on, let it reach full speed, turn it off. If the nickel is still on its edge your tool passes the nickel test.

Comment

It's a test to check for excessive vibration. If the nickel is still standing, you're good to go. If it falls over, it's time to start the search for the source of the vibration.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Even without performing a nickel test, I'm fairly confident that even a newbie could tell if a tool had enough vibration to interfere with precision work. IMO the nickel test is more for bragging rights and the oooh and aaaah effect! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks everyone.

If I get a penny to stand on edge throughout the test, does that mean I get even more braggin rights??? (JK).

Comment

Either that or you have to do it four more times to equal a single nickel test.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

MAd Lou, probably not but a dime is another story. I have a dime standing on edge on my RAS, and it has not fallen yet. Gotta love CA glue [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

You stole my thunder wbrooks! I told my salesman buddy at HD, from whom I bought my TS3650, that they should superglue a brand new dime on edge to the table top of their demo saw.
                There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

Comment

Working...
                X