X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• raised panels

When raising panels, do you guys back cut the centre panel to let it sit flush with the rails and stiles, or do you let it sit proud? I have read in furniture books that the centre panels that are flush with the frame are more toward the mass production method, as the entire workpiece can be sent through a drum sander. Having the raised centre panel sit slightly proud of the frame indicates a more hand crafted furniture approach.

What do you guys think?

Re: raised panels

I don't do many raised panels, but when I cut them using the tablesaw, I don't backcut. I've got a shaker style panel bit that has a backcutter attached, so it cuts at the same time. They both look good, but I kind of like the look of the panel standing proud because it doesn't look mass produced. Funny thing is, I don't think the profile of the shaker panel would look right standing proud of the frame. The angle on the panel looks too severe. Maybe its time to buy a new bit!

Comment

mine are flush I always thought it looked odd if they were proud,
      (it has been so long since I have made any), it looks like I use 5/8" think material for the panels,

I have a machine I made I call a horizontal shaper, that I use to make the doors on all the cutters are on one shaft and you can make a door in a few mins when all the parts are cut correctly, it is some what based on the RBI PANEL MASTER
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

To date, I've only made raised panels as a decorative side panels for our library (book case sides facing windows and doors). I've done these only on the table saw using typical 1 x stock and I am presuming they are simple "shaker style". In any case, they are positioned flush with the rails and stiles. I made my table saw jig to cut the bevel (angle) at 20-degrees, which appears (at least to me) to be fairly decent.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Some are flush... some are a bit proud... some are probably a bit recessed... nobody can mistake my panels for mass produced

Comment

I back cut them. It takes more work and IMO the result is a better quality door. That it could go through a drum or wide belt sander (wish I had one) would be a bonus, not a sign of mass production methods as I see it.

Now, what I don't really, really, really don't like are the cope and stick router bits that give you the little bitty short stub tenons. To me, THAT is mass production at its worst. I like to cut full-depth m&t and miter the inside edge detail. It's the best kind of hand craftsmanship... you don't see it, and never will.

Comment

Working...
            X