X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table Saw Tip

I thought I'd share a recent experience that may be able to help someone else avoid a mistake. After ripping a bunch of wood with the blade beveled I returned the blade to 90 deg. and ripped several more pieces. Some of the wood was twisted and rough, so I didn't notice right away, but when I started cutting the wood to the final sizes I discovered that the corners weren't cut square. I checked the blade with a square and found it was quite noticeable off. Apparently all my beveling had allowed sawdust to build up on the 90 deg stop surface, and when I returned to 90 deg the build-up set the blade off. It’s an easy fix, but can be a costly and frustrating problem, especially if it builds up slowly. I hope someone else can learn from my mistake.

I also learned that lesson recently, I use my shop to cut acrylic for creating aquarium equipment in addition to my normal woodworking. Arcylic needs to be very percise, if your out more that a third of a degreeit can ruin the work. When you cut acrylic it can melt the shaving into a molten type state and they were landing on the threaded bar under the blade (within the frame). It is definately fustrating. Thanks for the post- Glade I am not alone in the universe.
    Measure once...Cut...then go buy a new longer board.

Comment

JPM, All,
      I too have learned that lesson. Now, I always check my angles after changes have been made with a protractor and a sliding bevel or my 22.5/45/90 degree angle standards. I also stopped uses those 45 and 90 degree stops.

Steve

Comment

one thing an old carpenter friend of mine taught me is to always check your blade for accuracy after you change settings. something i have always tried to do and when i do i never have a problem. on occasion i get ahead of myself, forget to or just get in a hurry, and those are the times i usually end up killing trees
        \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Working...
        X