X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenoning Jig

Does anyone know if there is a tenoning jig available for the TS2424?
    thanks.

I have a Delta jig that I use on my Craftsman saw. This is very close to the RIGID saw, so I would say it would work for you also.

Another way to do it though is to make one that rides your fence. The Jigs run 80-90 $$, while the shop made one runs a few dollars. My shop built got the job done.
    Support Our Troops!
    www.mnpatriotguard.org
    www.patriotguard.org

Comment

While a shop-built jig will work, nothing beats the solid mass of a Delta or Jet jig, for assuring that the stock stays in place.

The Delta will need minor tweeking---do a search here for previous instructions on making the Delta fit the slightly narrower slots of the Rigid.
      Dave

Comment

I prefer the shop-made jig, and put pictures on the web so my brother could also build one. See www.plesums.com/wood/tenonjig.html . With care the thickness of my tenons varies by less than 1/128 inch. Since most tenons are at the end of a board, there is plenty of clearance to hold the wood without a clamp, so I can cut them as fast as I can slide the jig back and forth, and sometimes even cut several at a time. (A 9 drawer dresser requires 48 tenons just for the drawer slides!)

Comment

Charlie---nice design. But, I'll stick with my post and emphasize that the Delta or Jet jigs are heavy for a good reason---their mass is for both safety and accuracy. Otherwise, in this day and age, I'm sure they would have been made out of plastic.
          Dave

Comment

Originally posted by daveferg:
            Otherwise, in this day and age, I'm sure they would have been made out of plastic.
            Sad part is, that some that I have come across are made of Plastic Dave.

Although my Delta jig works real nice, the quality of my cuts did not change at all from the shop built one I used prior to coming up with the $90. Dave is right about the safty issue though, as these jigs have two handles, and if used as intended, are very safe.
            Support Our Troops!
            www.mnpatriotguard.org
            www.patriotguard.org

Comment

FYI...

Craftsman sells a jig for <$50 that works fairly well on the TS2424. It is not as user-friendly as the Delta and isn't quite as nice, but it will probably cut the majority of tenons the average woodworker could ask for. I bought one back before Christmas and would buy it again.

Craftsman Club days began on the 9th...so you can get 10% off.

Good luck,
              Jamie

Comment

Working...
              X