X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS2424 Fence Indicator

I noticed that the TS3612 now has two fence indicators on the fence head, one for the right scale and the other for the left. The TS2424 only has one and my understanding is that it is designed for the right side scale. I like using the scale after it is calibrated because it saves so much time. But what do some of you out there with a TS2424 do when ripping from the left side? Do you make a mental adjustment for the kerf of the blade (aprox 1/8")? or do you use a different technique? It would be nice to have two indicators. Jake, any suggestions?

Ivan, I have no answer for you, but a question: What reason have you found for ripping with fence left of blade? I've been straining for an answer for years on that one.

Dave

Comment

For close in cuts, (less than 6 inches) I use a INCRA Precision Bend Rule. I just set it on the table like a tent and butt the 0" end up against the fence and measure to a right facing tooth. Works pretty well. If I had the 12" version of the bend rule I would use this technique for those cuts as well.

As far as ripping with the fence on the left side, I did that for a while because I couldn't get the blade parallel. The back of the blade was slightly farther to the right than the front.

Thanks to Dave I don't have to do that anymore because of his front trunnion adjustment tip. Three Cheers for Dave!

Comment

I never do anything left of the blade except set down the occasional tool or wood scrap and I was born left handed (although I'm not now).
        Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

Good question Dave. I don't normally try ripping on the left except I was recently doing some cuts in cramped quarters and it was more convenient to rip on the left to avoid moving things around in my workshop so my workpieces did not hit a number of objects or walls(I am remodeling my shop and there are lots of things all around my tablesaw).

But now I ask this question: why would Ridgid and other tablesaws allow left-side ripping unless there was some usefullness to it? (and now Ridgid does supply that left-side rip indicator)

Comment

I use left side for crosscut, right for ripping.

They probably put the left rip scale on because people asked why they didn't have a left side scale.

Comment

I sometimes use the left side for ripping very thin pieces if I don't have a zero clearance insert in and just need to make a few cuts. Also when ripping bevels in pieces that I can't or don't want to flip over, planed on one side, or partially assembled, etc.

Comment

Working...
              X