Granite crack

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Granite crack

Hello to all. My R4511 has 2 hairline cracks in main granite tabletop. Do you know if Ridgid warrant's this problem? If so will they just send a top or do I have to transport the whole saw somewhere which would be a backbreaker. Also while doing a little tuneup I noticed a couple things which I'm hoping the saw experts can answer.

1. The 2 little crews holding in the bearing race on the pulley side of the arbor were almost all the way out. I imagine this is just a keeper for the race maybe?

2. Should I have a small amount of side to side movement in the arbor assy? I realize that the whole arbor slides up and down in the keyway with the brass colored keyway spacer for blade height adjustment, but I wasn't sure if it should have play side to side like that. In my finite mind, this could cause runout. Anyone have an idea about this?
    The bearing sounds a little dry and I was curious about the technical issues about replacing it.

3. If I did get a replacement top, what is the process of shimming the new one? I see some horseshoe type shims in the existing top and was wondering exactly what is "referenced" as far as shimming a new one. The only thing I could think of was, it is shimmed after the extension wings are installed incase the wing adjustment doesnt have enough adjustment on it.

Sorry for all the questions, but this saw has been my baby since I purchased it new last year. Today was a bad day for me considering my prize tool is "sick". Thanks in advance for any aid you can offer.
    Respectfully
    Mike
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mpdive; 02-06-2012, 05:18 AM.

Re: Granite crack.......Somrbody....Anybody..?

Mike,

You didn't mention how long you've had this saw, and can we presume that you are the first owner and thus you have the warranty (receipt). Also, did you register the saw for the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement? The warrany is 3-years from date of purchase and you will need a copy of your receipt to prove that. If you've properly registered and now have the LLSA, you're good forever.

I would quite imagine that someone "authorized" is going to have to see that top in order to proclaim that it really does need replacing. Given the other problems and concerns that you mention, I'm thinking you're in for a "back breaking" job of getting it to a service center... but, I would call them first and see what they have to say about it (and also call Ridgid Customer Service).

Sorry that this isn't more helpful,

CWS

Comment

Re: Granite crack

Thanks for the reply. Ridgid said that they will send out a new top to the service center and all I have to do is pick it up. I'm glad on that. The saw is only a year old and is registered for warranty purposes. Now to figure out the top shimming procedure and what it's referenced off of. I am going to replace both arbor shaft bearings and the arbor shaft sleeve since it's easy access right now. Thanks again for taking the time to reply....It's much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
        Mike,

You didn't mention how long you've had this saw, and can we presume that you are the first owner and thus you have the warranty (receipt). Also, did you register the saw for the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement? The warrany is 3-years from date of purchase and you will need a copy of your receipt to prove that. If you've properly registered and now have the LLSA, you're good forever.

I would quite imagine that someone "authorized" is going to have to see that top in order to proclaim that it really does need replacing. Given the other problems and concerns that you mention, I'm thinking you're in for a "back breaking" job of getting it to a service center... but, I would call them first and see what they have to say about it (and also call Ridgid Customer Service).

Sorry that this isn't more helpful,

CWS
        I was already going to inquire about the same things.

I forgot that you could purchase tools from Rigid.

Comment

I just had to take the top to the service center and they ordered me a new one. Took about a week for it to come in. The top cracked right in two when we lifted it into the truck to take it to the service center. I'm impressed that Ridgid stands behind their products. I wish there was a better solution to the handling of large equipment. An R4511 in near impossible to transport to a service center.

Comment

Glad it all worked out. A lot of people bad mouth the granite but I think it's awesome. And with Ridgid standing behind their products, that's even better. Thanks for posting the end results.

Red
            Red

Comment

Working...
            X