X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roll Away Workbench With Retractable Wheels Idea

I was recently looking for an idea for a roll away workbench with retractable wheels when a friend at work gave me this idea. I didn't want any bulky levers or foot switches and he came up with this. I made a 4'X 8' workbench with 4"X4" legs. I rabbitted 1/2" ply into the outside and inside of the ends creating about a 2" pocket. I then built a 2"X 2" square frame and attached wheels to the bottom of the frame. I also rabbitted 1/2" ply onto the inside edge of the frame and attached a 2"x2" piece of stock directly in middle of the frame horizontally. I then cut a 2"X9" rectangle in the outside piece of 1/2" ply on the each end of the table. I also attached a 2"X2" piece of stock to the outside piece of 1/2" ply accross the 9" rectangle inside the pocket about 2" lower than the 2"X2" internal frame's horizontal 2"X2". The concept being: If you take Two EZ-Grip clamps (one on each side) and squeeze the two 2"X 2" pieces of stock together it will push the 2"X 2" frame with wheels out the bottom of the table. You can then move the table where ever you want. When you get it into position you just release the clamps and the table sets back down on the legs. Words of caution! I built this table with 4" X4" post, 3/4" ply top and bottom shelf, 1/2" ply sides and back, 2"X 4" frame. I have 3 door compartments under the table. I also have a router table, 13" Ridgid Planner, and a 11" bandsaw on top of the table. IT IS HEAVY, make sure your clamps will hold the weight. My original 6" EZ-Grip clamps did not. The 12" Clamps hold it fine. I plan on posting pictures on my website soon and will post the address when finished or if anyone is interested.

Re: Roll Away Workbench With Retractable Wheels Idea

I would sure like to see pics. thanks, Al

Comment

Originally posted by Harding13120 View Post
      Lets see, the OP posted this thread back in 2001 and hasn't posted anything since then. Chances are pretty good that pictures won't be forthcoming anytime soon.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
        Lets see, the OP posted this thread back in 2001 and hasn't posted anything since then. Chances are pretty good that pictures won't be forthcoming anytime soon.
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Harding13120 View Post
          Welcome to the forum

Comment

Working...
          X