X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you get laminite edges so tight

i am an office worker by trade, but half the time I spend my time staring at some of the nicer furniture and wondering how it was made.

What would the technique be for getting such a tight circular edge/border/transition betwen this laminated circle top and the hardwood edging? More or less create such perfect hardwood edging.

imgur: the simple image sharer

Re: how do you get laminite edges so tight

It's not that hard if you use a few tricks:

Make the solid edging a little thicker than the the laminated top. How much thicker depends on your skill level and how careful you are.

Make the the solid edge as a complete ring before mating it to the circular top. Trick number one is, always use an even number of sections. Then put half (180 degrees) of the ring together, mount to a piece of ply (toe clamp or DeStaCo clamps if you have some), and trim the faces on the tablesaw where that half will mate up to the other half. This puts them in a perfect line. Do the same to the other half. This will ensure that the the sections of the hardwood edges all fit perfectly. Dowels, floating tenons or even (yuck) biscuits work well to join the solid wood sections. I guess you could even use pocket screws on the underside but seems to me that should be a felony on fine furniture.

Next, you need trick number two: When you cut the circle on the outside of the laminated (or hardwood plywood) top, don't cut it so the SIDES of the cut are perpendicular to the top. Put a small angle, about 2-4 degrees or so, on it. Then, when you cut the circle on the inside of the hardwood ring, do the same thing at the same angle. I use a router and a shopmade jig to do this. It is best to sneak up on the cut, or you're sure to have to remake something.

When you put the outer ring on, it will drop on until it's a perfect fit. Kind of like how you carve the top of a halloween pumpkin. The reason you made the solid wood thicker than the laminated top is so that the solid wood will be proud of the surface. If it's not... you get to remake something.

When the fit is good, glue it, but don't over tighten the clamps - you don't want to squeeze out all the glue. Give it a full day to dry (nevermind the glue bottle that says you can unclamp in an hour). Next day, scrape it flush, or sand if you like to live dangerously.

There you go, a perfect fit, just like the picture.

Comment

Re: how do you get laminite edges so tight

most thing are aided with jigs, or templates.

and my guess on most commercial things they most likely us some type of jig or template, or cnc machine to make the parts so there is near perfect fit,

(example) there is a router bit that is made to piece to gether laminate for inlay. Rockler Inlay System - Rockler Woodworking Tools

and a larger version of this could be used to get perfect matching pieces,

and by making the edge proud, it can be trimmed off using a guided bearing bit, using a clean bearing and one that is free, and then setting the cutter so it is just on the wood helps minimize any errors.

in many instances the wood is under the laminate. http://www.rheacoinc.com/photos/webpics/Plam_Wood.jpg

others use a pre made type edge with a grove in it. http://www.countertopsinc.com/images...eveledWood.gif

http://fixmycabinet.com/wp-content/u.../wood-edge.jpg

there could be various ways of doing that round table in your picture, the table made and then with a template route a near perfect circle in the edging with the main top down the thickness of the laminate. then cut the laminate out with a inlay type bit so it will fit and the glue and drop into place,

I would most likely try some sample or test pieces if I was going to build something like that to try different techniques to come up with the better for my situation and tools
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
      X