X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3650 Setup

Finished settin up the 3650 this past weekend. Or maybe I'm not finished. As others have stated, the packaging and instructions were excellent. However, my saw did not come with any documnetation/paperwork. I had to download the operator's manual from Ridgid's website. HD is supposedly taking care of this. First off-I have three bolts and attendant nuts not used. I went through the instructions twice accounting for all hardware and cannot account for them. ??? In assembling the Hercu-lift you come to a point where you are supposed to tighten all bolts. Am I assuming correctly that this does not apply to the rear pivot bolts? I saw that my local HD had installed larger area washers over these rear pivot holes and snugged the bolts. This doesn't make sense to me given its motion, but??? And last but not least, I have the fence rails adjusted as far down as possible and yet I can not come close to the recommended fence to table clearance of nine sheets of paper. I have about .125 clearance. If fact, the rear fence sits high enough to prohibit full rearward movement of the miter gauge. Any suggestions as to where I have gone wrong? The heads of the rail bolts certainly appeared to be square, but are they in fact rectangular? The interesting thing is, with the rails both adjusted as low as they will go the fence clearance, front to back, is uniform.

Appreciate any help

Paul

My 3612 had a few extra nuts and washers. I counted twice and checked my assembly, they were indeed extra.
    Extra is better than not enough.
    www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

I also had a few extra parts left over when I got done putting together my 3612. I also double checked the assembly instructions and everything that was supposed to be bolted together was. So far, it hasn't fallen apart. [img]smile.gif[/img]
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I assembled (but haven't aligned) my TS3650 two nights ago, so I can only comment on the Hercu-Lift. I think the sloppy bolts that mount the lift to the saw are basically just a rigged up ball/swivel joint. They don't do anything more than to keep the lift in roughly the right spot and allow for movement when the lift is actuated. It's the kind of hack that Rube Goldberg would come up with and not at all in line with the rest of the design and quality. Personally, I would have preferred all my bolts in a a plastic baggy and a nicer mount at those locations.

I'll let you know if I encounter any problems with alignment this weekend.

Comment

I spent the weekend putting my new 3650 together also. The bolts and nuts you had left over is to attach a wood fence to the rip fence. See page 53 in the manual.(when you get one) The fence on my saw didn't set as low as the manual called but wasn't 1/8" high. The rear rail sets even with the bottom of my miter groove. The only problem I have had is getting the splitted set-up. It has been a PITA. I left the pivot bolts on my lift with the nuts even with the end of the bolts. The lift seems to work just fine that way.

Comment

Yogi I have to agree with you on the engineering of the lift mechanism. I feel better knowing what the three bolts and nuts are for now. I will attempt to lower the rails again, but I believe I have them as low as they will go at the moment. I would rather not have to grind the heads of the rail attachment bolts if I don't have to but I need to get that rear rail a little lower to relieve the interference with the miter. I am not particularly concerned about a little excess table to fence clearance. Thanks for the responses.

Comment

If I remember right, the bolt holding lift to saw tighen untill end of bolt is showing through nut.
              I set mine up earlier this week.
              SCWood

Comment

Do yourself a favor and replace the pivot bolts with 4 1/4"x20 x 2" ( plus washers at the head) long bolts with no threads at the portion which is within the upper and lower lift bars. The set up manual shows 1 5/8" bolts with no threads at the head portion but they give you fully threaded ones. It is very smooth now. I tightened the nuts all the way so no threads are exposed and it is free to move as a sliding guide along the smooth portion of the bolts.

Comment

PMeade, and others I to had problems getting fence and rails low enough. The back rail was fine but the front rode high. An easy fix I found was to use a round(rat tail) file and lower the holes in the castings a little. Didn't take much and dropped fence down. I also used a feeler guage to set fence hieght above table. More accurate than pages of manual! Fence glides nicely over table with just enough clearance.
                  Hope this helps seems better than grinding bolts down as they could turn in fence slot when tightening, Rick.

Comment

Originally posted by PMeade:
                    However, my saw did not come with any documnetation/paperwork. I had to download the operator's manual from Ridgid's website.
                    Paul
                    The operators manual being the manual that shows you how to put your saw together? Or is this an entirely different manual all togher? I only got one manual and it's the one that shows you how to put your saw togther. Oh and some tips on wood cutting. But I only had one booklet.

Comment

Moon
                      They are one in the same
                      SCWood

Comment

I just set up my Ridgid 3650 last night. My rails are just right, my hercu-lift works, but I tightened the bolts all the way down on everything. I will go back and loosen the pivot bolts today. I did have one problem. The instructions say to align the rear rail with the "mark"? I don't have any marks on the rear rail. I just measured the distance from the table to the end of the front rail (20") and set the rear rail to match. The problem is now the square head screw on the far left rear is not holding anything. The rear rail is only held on with 3 screws.

Another PITA was the spacer bar - whats the deal with that thing? Is anyone using it?

Comment

Congats on your new saw! The "mark" on the rear rail was a clear sticker with a hash mark on it. The rear rail does not extend as far to the right as the front rail does when it properly installed. This allows for the incresed width of the front of the fence compared to the rear of the fence. Slide your fence all of the way to the right in relation to the front rail and see how much room you have left on the back. You can then move the back rail to the left the corresponding amount and that should bring the screw in question back onto the edge of the right wing. That should solve the problem of the missing "mark". As to the spacer bar...agree that setting it up is a PITA but it keeps the distance between the rails constant and allows the fence to slide smoothly...worth the effort.

Hope this helps!

Comment

So the rear rail sticks out to the right less than the front rail? I guess that makes sense, but they could have addressed that in the manual. The "mark" sticker would have helped too, but it was no there on mine.

BTW, made the first cuts today. Man I like this saw. It made a cut on an oak board that I glued up without a jointer - nice saw.

Comment

You're asking way too much. Purpose of all tool manuals is to create as much confusion as possible.

Get it straight man.

Jake

Comment

Working...
                              X