X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pin Nailing

When pin nailing Red Oak Trim to Red Oak Boards I've had the pin nails deflect and come out of the oak board; they took a U turn. These are 23 guage pins, do you thinnk it is due to the size of the pin, the air pressure, or just because it is Red Oak? The air was set at 100 lbs and ran thru a 50 foot hose.

Re: Pin Nailing

Pin nailers do that in many woods. It's worse with long pins and in oak, because of the pronounced grain pattern.

Comment

One thing you need to keep in mind with nailing into the sides of any wood with any nail with a chisel point is you need to make sure that the chisel if and when it turns, turns inside the wood. You need to shoot your nail with the chisel point perpindicular to the side. No guarantee the nail wont come out the side but if you didnt know about the chisel, it might help. I am bad at ASCII illustration, but here we go.

| |
      | |
      | |
      \/ Nail head
      Last edited by masterbeavis; 02-24-2012, 12:03 AM.
      We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

What brand pin nailer are you using?
        what brand pin nails are you using?
        100psi sounds awfully high! typically the manufacturer suggests no more than 90 psi or even 80 psi
        or less depending upon the type of wood

How long are the pin nails you're using? As others have mentioned in hard dense wood longer pin nails
        may tend to bend or skew off course and blow out.

One way to possibly avoid the pin nail turning is to shoot them at an angle instead of straight on.

Cactus Man

Comment

They'll blow out the side!

Honestly, I do not like using pin nails to hold things together. I have learned the hard way that pin nailing should be left for scribe moulding, outside corners of stain grade crown, and in areas where I cannot have an exposed fastener. Glue ALWAYS is used on critical areas if that's the case. Once the glue dries, that is what's going to hold it all together.
          We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Pin Nailer is Air Locker
            1 3/16 and 3/4 inch, both tended to bend
            Nailer rated for 70 to 120 psi.

Was nailing to hold crown on a Grandfather Clock, then I glued wedges between the crown and the clock case. Inserted the wedges from above.

Thanks to all for the responses.

Comment

Working...
            X