Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting parts mailed instead of driving to a service center?

I have a BS1402 band saw. Recently, the piece that adjusts the alignment of the upper wheel cracked, so I am no longer able to adjust the tracking of the upper wheel and consequently the saw is unusable.

Here is a link to the piece that broke:
    Shaft/Hinge Upper Wheel [824283] - $18.92 at eReplacementParts.com

I contacted Rigid and was told that they don't send parts to end users because all of their service is handled through service centers. I went online and found out that there are three service centers near me. One is out of business, one says they no longer service Rigid tools and the third never seems to be open and has not returned my calls.

The next closest service center is approx 40 miles away. It would be cheaper for me to simply order the part versus incur the cost of gas and time to take the saw to the service center. Figuring 80 miles roundtrip (twice) that's 160 miles which is probably $35 in gas, and I'd also probably have to take two half vacation days from work to get it over there and pick it up.

Repairing the saw is simple provided I have the replacement part, so I posted over at lumberjocks about how to get Rigid to send me the part I need and got some replies indicating that Rigid will send parts in situations such as this and they suggested that I post here to figure out what I need to do in order to get them to do so.

My apologies if this has been covered previously.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Re: Getting parts mailed instead of driving to a service center?

Call Ridgid Customer Service and POLITELY explain your situation.
    Explain the dilemma of authorized service centers in your area etc....

Give them the part number and ALL warranty information....

If nice, they may simply send you what you need!

let us know how you do...

Cactus Man

Comment

ereplacementparts.com is your friend Ridgid BS14002 Parts List and Diagram : eReplacementParts.com I see that you've been there and the part is on backorder for a month. If you can wait, that would be my suggestion.

Comment

Well, I wasn't able to get anywhere with Ridgid, but I did find a service center about an hour away from me that said they can order the part and ship it to me if I send them a picture of the broken part as well as a copy of my receipt and serial number. I do have to pay for shipping, but hopefully I'm only looking at $10-15 for UPS since it isn't going very far. Thanks for the suggestions.

I did some research and it looks like other people have had trouble with service centers that are on Ridgid's website that are either out of business, no longer service Ridgid tools, or don't return calls.

Comment

You didn't mention if your BS was under warranty or registered into the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement... that is the only reason, if the repair is minor, to go to an authorized service center or to buy the part through an authorized service center. Otherwise, I'd got the route through the link given for "e-parts" or check out another source like M and D Mower.

For a small tool I'd simply send it UPS but for a "stationary", I can see that being a pretty expensive problem. If under warranty or LLSA, have you discussed this with the Home Depot Service Desk? I've been told by my store here in the Corning, NY area that they will send the tool in for service (not sure if I really believe that though). There was a very recent discussion, about Home Depot starting a new policy of handling Ridgid "service". I'm not sure how far along that is though or if it might only be a trial out on the west coast.

Good luck,

CWS

Comment

Working...
          X