X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New addition to my 4512

I put on a Digital Readout by Wixey yesterday. Once I got it dialed in it works great and is accurate within 1/64th. I made repeated random cuts at different measurements and it was pretty consistent. I did have a problem with the circuit strip not sticking to the aluminum track, so I removed the adhesive from the circuit strip, cleaned the back of the strip and the track with acetone and used double sided fiberglass carpet tape to mount it back on. You also need to file the track some to get the 2 halves true. I would give it almost an 8 out of 10 since i had to monkey with it a bit. Here is the website: Wixey.com - Saw Fence Digital Readout

I like it! I will still verify each day I use the saw just to keep an eye on it for now.
    Attached Files

Re: New addition to my 4512

nicely done. i've heard some people really like their saw fence readouts and others who had them and didn't feel it provided the utility they thought it would. does it need to be re-zeroed ever time the fence is removed form the saw?
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

They say you don't have to if you leave the readout on the track. What I did was remember what was on the readout or set the fence at a random number like at 6", take the fence off, put it back on at 6" and make sure the readout was the same. I have to take my fence off to store my saw under my outfeed table, so for now I will double check when I put the fence on.

Comment

I checked this when i got home, I moved the readout away from the fence, took the fence off, replaced the fence , put it against the blade and slid the readout back over to the fence. It was an .005 difference. I zeroed it anyways but with it that close I really didnt need to..

Comment

so it's a magnet that attaches the readout head to the fence amd not a nut and bolt. can the readout head by "locked" in ne position on the sensor strip? BTW, what did you use to make the btracket that attached to the fence and provide a contact point for the readout to attach to the fence?
          Last edited by FINER9998; 02-28-2012, 11:41 PM.
          there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

The readout cant be locked to the sensor strip. It doesnt have a lockdown screw like calipers do to hold a dimension. But if you are asking that so you can lock it down to hold the calibration when you remove the fence, you dont need to. It has kind of a "live"? or constant memory. Today I moved the head off of the fence bracket, slid the fence down to 14", attached the head and turned it on and it said 14.00. Slid the fence with the head attached all the way back to the blade and it read 0.00. The bracket came with the kit as a flat piece. I bent it in a vice and twisted it a little with channel locks. I opened up one hole in the bracket to 1/4" and drilled another hole the same size. Then I made some spacers for support because that part of the fence is not solid, and put in some longer hex head screws. I did have to square up the fence again. The kit comes with another angle tab so it can be attached to a Delta type fence, but I couldnt get that to work.
            Last edited by GarageJunkie; 02-29-2012, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X