Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

r2500 sander doesn't hold sandpaper - and I think I know why.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• r2500 sander doesn't hold sandpaper - and I think I know why.

The r2500 sandpaper issue appeared in this forum back in 2010 but wasn't successfully resolved. I've had the same experience when the sander shakes the retaining clip loose and the paper flies off.
    It's the posts the platen is attached on (#590930001). Take the platen off by loosening the four retaining screws in the baseplate and ease the the whole assembly off, firmly but gently.
    There are the white, four-legged towers in each corner that let the platen vibrate. I've found that often one of the four slender legs has sheared at the base - often at the motor end - and the platen shakes too much and sheds the paper.
    I've replaced these towers twice now and it resolves the sandpaper issue. However these replacement parts are not well-made and fail too frequently. Like today for instance. Not happy, bad sander - may find new home in bin very shortly.

Re: r2500 sander doesn't hold sandpaper - and I think I know why.

I returned mine and purchased another one with a tried and true metal spring.
    We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

I searched this forum as I have had the same issue of a clip comming undone. Back when it was under warranty I took it to the repair center and they put 2 new spring clips on it. Maybe they also replaced post cushon, as they are called, and i didnt notice onthe invoice. It seemed to be good for a while, then started throwing paper again. I guess i had always thought that the clips were not staying locked in their plate, but that is a symtom not the cause. I took it apart and lo and behold a few of the plastic posts were broke. I suppose this lets the plate shake too violently and thus shaking loose the clip. It doesnt seem like a good patent though. For somthing that runs at 14000 rpm no load.

So I went on the parts website which is insanely easy to navigate. I found all my parts I wanted inside 2 minutes. I expected the parts to be a kings ransom, but I was shocked. The posts that break are 64 cents each. (2 needed). So i got a new pad and once I saw that the shipping was $12, I changed my order to 10 posts. Should be enough for a lifetime.

So yea, We are all disapointed in this product. But at least the part is less than a buck. I would rather the part be 3 bucks and never break in the first place.

Addidtionally the service center is and hour away and the last time i got service it took entirely too long, and with the simplicity of this thing I had it apart in 5 minutes. THey would just charge me more than the thing is worth to repair.

Good luck all.

Comment

I didn't have any problem with the 1/4 sheet sander but haven't used it in some time. It worked a lot better than the ryobi thing I had.

But the other day I used it and it was loosing the paper after not too long of time.

I used to cut a sheet in half, fold it and glue it together. A double sided abrasive surface seemed to help with the ryobi but then I got the ridgid I thought I was set.

What's a better sander?

Comment

Working...
        X