Need New Jointer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need New Jointer

My Craftsman Jointer needs to be replaced. I have done some research and after getting over sticker shock, the Jet and Powermatic have the best ratings. I would appreciate any comments on the two or other jointers you think are worth consideration.

Re: Need New Jointer

You can,t go wrong with a grizzly and they are a lot cheaper then the ones you mentioned..

Comment

What size? 6" or 8"

I have the delta 6" x5 jointer, and I really like it. I may get the 8" version soon, and sell the 6".

Comment

I have a Jet Jointer and have been very happy with it. However, it has almost doubled in price since I bought mine and quite frankly, IMO, is now way over priced for what it is. A jointer is a pretty basic tool so once setup properly one is pretty much as good as another. I also agree with Parker that Grizzly at least deserves a look. If you can find one, the Ridgid Jointer would also be a good choice but I would stay away from the Harbor Freight version as I don't like their fence system at all.
        ================================================== ====
        ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Originally posted by Don233 View Post
          My Craftsman Jointer needs to be replaced. I have done some research and after getting over sticker shock, the Jet and Powermatic have the best ratings. I would appreciate any comments on the two or other jointers you think are worth consideration.
          where are you getting those ratings from? the last time wood magazine tested 6" stationary jointers, a grizz was the top tool and the ridgid was the top value. the jet cost more than both and didn't measure up to either in terms of performance. today's jet and powermatic are not what they were 25 years ago. today's jet and PM are trading on their past reputations and little else.
          there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

As a result of your comments, I have decided to postpone purchasing a jointer in order to research all options. Buying new or used. Determine my needs. How much to spend.

I am going to the Tampa Woodworking show next week. Hopefully I can get some good information on the equipment.

Comment

I think that you've made the correct decision. I sometimes take weeks and even months to research a tool before I buy it. The more you learn about a particular tool and the features it offers vs other like tools the happier you'll be with your final choice.
              ================================================== ====
              ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                I think that you've made the correct decision. I sometimes take weeks and even months to research a tool before I buy it. The more you learn about a particular tool and the features it offers vs other like tools the happier you'll be with your final choice.
                agreed. i take ages to pull the trigger on a major tool purchase too.

Comment

I second the Grizzly. Well made and accurate. I was using the HF which was surprisingly good, but the Grizzly blows it away. The jack screws make it so nice to set blades. The HF had neither springs or jack screws. I like the Grizzly. I bought it used for 150.00 I think it's the HW1182Z.

Comment

Working...
                  X