X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to switch blades

I bought my RIGID table saw about 10 years ago and have used it off and on and it works like a wonder. Now it comes time to replace the blade. I have a wrench for the outside of the blade and I moved the switch under the table to keep the blade from spinning. Only problem is, it still spins because of the belt. Any help?

Re: How to switch blades

What model saw do you have?

Comment

Try putting on a heavy duty leather work glove and hold onto the blade while you get the nut loosened. If that idea doesn't sound like one you'd like to do then just place a piece of wood against the teeth of the blade to hold it still while you loosen the nut. When you put the blade back on remember to not over tighten the nut, ¼ turn past hand tight is all the tighter the nut needs to be.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

not the best video, but you'll get the idea:

Video: How to Change a Blade on the Table Saw | eHow.com

you could also refer to the appropriate section of your owners manual.
        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Get a bigger wrench.
          Arr Arr Arr...

"HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

No brainer, Put a piece of scrap wood against the blade
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Yes... use a wood slat or something appropriate to NOT damaging the table surface or the blade (if you care to have it resharpened in the future). And above all else, ensure that you have UNPLUGGED THE SAW!!!!

OOOPS! Badger Dave pointed out my error in the next paragraph of my original posting... I have rewritten it. Loosening of the arbor nut depends on whether the saw is a "right tilt" or a "left tilt". My apologies for the error!

Depending on the saw's arbor design (left or right tilt, as it appears from the feed end of the saw) the nut may be loosened either clockwise or counter clockwise... I think the better indicator is that the nut tightens in the direction of the feed end (front) of the saw and in the direction of the blade rotation.

So, I usually position a wood or plastic slat on the feed-end of the blade, jamming it back into the blade gullet where it will hold the blade still while you leverage the wrench "clockwise" on the arbor nut.... toward the front of the table.

On some saws, like my Ryobi BT3100, there is a flat on the arbor which enables you to use a wrench there, as well as on the arbor... much like one would do with a router collet. I don't have a Ridgid though, so don't know if that provision is there.

Follow Badger Dave's advice on replacing the blade.... you do NOT want to tighten the arbor nut too tight, as over time it could well be "a bear" to get off.

Good luck,

CWS
              Last edited by CWSmith; 03-16-2012, 12:42 AM. Reason: Major Error Correcton!

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                .................................................. ...
                Remember the arbor nut is loosened "clockwise" and tightened "counter-clockwise"... exact opposite of the usual "lefty-loosey, righty-tighty" that we are used to with other threaded fasteners.
                CWS, that's not how it works on the RIDGID saws and most other left tilt saws if I'm not mistaken. It's the opposite of what you said. I seem to recall mention that the arbor nut does function the way you described on right tilt table saws though.

Comment

Thanks Dave,

I've revised my post, approprietly. A big "DUH!" on my part.

CWS

Comment

My TS-3650 had flats on the arbor to use a holdback wrench. I though they all did.
                    The OP mentioned he "moved the switch under the table to keep the blade from spinning" .
                    I do not recall any arbor lock on my saw and I did not know the previous models had it either.
                    If his saw is 10 years old that would make it a 2001 or 2002 model. I think the Ts-3650 hit the
                    street in late 2002, so what was the previous model, the TS-2424 and did it have an arbor lock?
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Mr TS3612 which is the model just prior to the TS3650 does not have an arbor lock nor does it have flats on the arbor for a second wrench. The Owners Manual shows using the block of wood method for loosening the nut.

Comment

The easiest way to know which direction to tighten or loosen, whether right tilt or left tilt, is to always loosen by pulling the wrench toward the front of the saw. (tighten by pushing away) Don't over tighten or you can warp the blade.

A piece of wood to block the blade in place works well and is really simple.

Comment

I find it fascinating that somebody could go ten years without taking the blade off.
                          Joe Spear

Comment

clockwise" and tightened "counter-clockwise"...
                            That's "contrary-clocker-wise" as Festus would say.
                            ---------------
                            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                            ---------------
                            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                            ---------
                            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                            ---------
                            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                            X