X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rust on table saw-revisited

well here in about 3 weeks i am going to tackle my table saw and jointer that got rusted pretty bad. anyway took all your tips on board and thought i was ready to go. Picked up May's American Woodworker toay and on page 10 this very subject was addressed (removal of rust). They suggested a green scotchbrte pad cut to fit under an orbital sander lubricated with mineral spirits or WD-40. this seems like an efficent way to accomplish this task. What do you guys/girls think?

thanks

ed
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

I have a car buffer type of thing that is the exact same, came with my B&D mega mouse. should be able to fit any 5" orbital with a velcro bottom.

Comment

Hi spacebluesonoma, I also read the article and tried this technique using WD-40 and a green scotch brite pad with my random orbital sander. I didn't have too much rust on my jointer, but it removed it in a matter of seconds. I also polished up my tablesaw top using this technique.

Comment

Ed,

A green scotch-brite pad and WD-40 is all I've ever used, (but using the fore-arm powered sander)... Anyway, the secret is keeping the table completely covered with WD. Rub down, wipe off to see whats come off and tackle trouble spots again. I usually then clean the WD off with degreaser. After I make sure I wipe off all the degreaser (the water in it can cause rust), I coat the surface with some paste wax.

Jake

Comment

This is a list I made a while ago. It is oriented toward new tools, but it is fairly obvious where you need to pick up.

It looks like a lot more work than anyone else ever recommends, but I don't have -any- rust on my tools after the Winter.

Dave
          [edit] Ed was really nice when he pointed out that I, the easily distracted one, didn't include my link! http://users2.ev1.net/~arbuckle/DirtyDozen.html is where I intended to point.

[ 04-15-2003, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: Dave Arbuckle ]

Comment

thanks guys. it pains me to see my tools in this condition. i take such good care of my stuff and quite honestly it really pisses me off that the movers that moved us did not pack them properly. (we had a BUNCH of stuff damaged in transit because of poor packing and shipping). As most of you know i am in the military and was at sea when we were packed up. so my wife had to watch everything going on. well needless to say things got missed. and part of the problem was at the warehouse when they switched trucks. this is the problem with the government using the cheapest bidder to do things. although in all honesty i have made 4 government moves (one overseas) and this was the worst one.

so anyway i am stuck with a Ridgid jointer and tablesaw on which the surfaces have rusted. I spent good money on quality tools and want to make sure i am not going to screw them up by doing something wrong.

thanks for all the help and advice. i will let you all know how it turns out

ed
            \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Hey,
              What type of wax or brand of wax would be a good one to use to condition the cast iron table so it won't rust? And where would you purchase it?

Comment

According to the test results done by WOOD Magazine, the best rust preventative is Boeshield T-9. Paste wax actually scored very poorly as a rust preventer. Many however use Johnson's Paste Wax and swear by it.
                Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

How long does it generally take for Boeshield T-9 to dry? I finally tried some, and per the directions I tried to let it dry for a heavier coating. After 3 days I finally buffed it out but I wouldn't really say it was dry. Is this typical?

BTW, I found it locally at Boater's World $9.99.

Comment

BB,

I use Bostik TopCote on my tools so I'm not familiar with the dry time of the T-9. Three days does seem like an awful long time though. You might want to call or email Boeshield and get their take on why your application didn't dry in a reasonable amount of time.

Dave
                    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Hi Spacebluessonoma
                      This is what I use it cleans and conditions both. It takes me like 5 mins to do my table saw and it works great it comes in one kit easy to use and its called --> Top Saver System by Empire. I put this on twice a year and have no problum with rush anymore the cost is only $20.00 and I get like 3 uses out each bottle.
                      I have tried wd-40 but the rust always comes back. here is a link to there web site
                      http://www.empiremfg.com

Comment

I have a 1980 TS which I always had a problem with rust until about 5 years ago. I was made aware of a product called Penetrol which can be found in the paint section at HD. This product worked wonders at removing rust with very little elbow grease. It also conditions metal to prevent recurrence. I now use it on any metal found in my workshop. The top of the TS is waxed afterwards with Johnson's paste wax. Try the product and I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Comment

Johnson's paste wax, for floors, has been a mian stay in my shop for years. I live in Florida where the humidity is killer at times. The Jonhson's not only makes a smooth surface for stock to travel across, but it also help prevent rust. I apply it every couple of months and it's been great. I bought a large can a Wal-Mart for $5, and I 've had it for years. I'll bet I'm not the only guy that uses it either.

Comment

If you keep you cast iron top saw in the garage or any place humid one other thing that works great for me is to place a sheet of cardboard over the cast iron surface. I have mine in a work trailer and move it from one site to another. The daily changes in temperature made it rust no matter what i used. Now together with MinWax fisnishing wax and the cardboard i less problems. The cardboard collects the moisture instead of it settling on the cast iron.

Comment

Living in S Georgia and close to the ocean, I have to deal with high humidity and salty air. I've tried just about everything on my TS2424, BS1400 and JP0610 to stop the rust (including paste wax and Bostik TopCote). Two months ago I broke down and spent $30 for Boeshield T-9 and the Rust Free rust and stain remover. For me, it has been well worth the money. All tools are rust free and looking great. The Rust Free also works great HOWEVER make sure it is used in a well ventilated area!

Comment

Working...
                              X