X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now you can have them all!

Yup, you heard right. Some of us asked for it (including me) and now you can get it, but you won't like the price.

All 210 episodes from the 21 year span of the New Yankee Workshop are now being
    offered as a package on DVD.

You also get 6 autographed color photos of Norm to sweeten the deal.

New Yankee Workshop - Featuring the Craftsmanship of Master Carpenter Norm Abram

Maybe if I win the Megamillions tomorrow I can swing it. Other than that I will have to pass.
    For $500 I might have been interested, but for $2999 I don't think so.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: Now you can have them all!

They should have waited until this Sunday to announce that deal. Then I would have understood. $2999, what are they nuts!
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Good luck selling a DVD set for 3 grand to woodworkers. Woodworkers are a pretty thrifty group! We do things like use sandpaper too long, keep off cuts to build cutting boards, sharpen blades that probably should be replaced, etc

Comment

Surely they must be including Norm's tools at that price!!!

Comment

according to Wikipedia The New Yankee Workshop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I looks like there were an average of 13 episodes per season, and the site says, there were at least 235 projects, and if 13 per season is correct that would 275 episodes, but that is still over $10 an episode, and if you figure project at 235 projects that is about $12.76 and episode,

I may be wrong but I would think if one was paying $2 or $3 a project in bulk like that it would be a lot, that would still be $470 to $700, and I would have a hard time parting with that much cash for the series, yes he did good work but at times it was more of a commercial on power tools than really teaching wood working, yes I would not mind having the set, but the price will have to be much less.

really the guy I liked was Roy Underhill he was funny and did show how to make things with hand tools, but have not seen him on TV for many years,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
            Surely they must be including Norm's tools at that price!!!
            Stop calling me Shirley!
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Roy is still on the air here on PBS, and you can go to his website and view all
              his shows on line. I have the link saved on my other computer, i'll post it later.
              I haven't seen any new episodes for 2012 yet, they are replaying 2011 shows still.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              ---------
              ---------

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                Stop calling me Shirley!
                Sorry BD, slip of the tongue. I hope nobody realizes that is your real name.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                  Roy is still on the air here on PBS, and you can go to his website and view all
                  his shows on line. I have the link saved on my other computer, i'll post it later.
                  I haven't seen any new episodes for 2012 yet, they are replaying 2011 shows still.
                  Here ya go BHD

Latest Season
                  http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/v...100/index.html

Link to all inline episodes
                  watch episodes online . Woodwright's Shop with Roy UnderHill | PBS#
                  Last edited by Bob D.; 03-31-2012, 07:33 AM.
                  ---------------
                  ---------------
                  ---------
                  ---------

Comment

Over the years I've watched (and watched repeats) of NYW and TOH, but $2,999? Shameless robbery. Sorry but I'd assume after so many years Norm has some say in the production etc of the program and has agreed to this outrageous price.

I won't be watching him with quite the same rose tinted glasses anymore, he wouldn't have the reputation he enjoys today without the fans of that program so to take advantage in such a shameless fashion is truly disgraceful, methinks he's become too enamoured of his own "fame". (meaning no other person outside the woodworking / construction activites have ever heard of him).

Comment

I downloaded the whole show years ago, right after it went off the air. At $3000, there's no way in hell I'm going to buy it. I might replace it, as some people have said, for $300-400 maybe, but at that price? I'll be a shameless pirate, I don't mind.

Comment

Interesting piece by Norm talkng about how he got started, growing up working for his dad in construction, how NYW and TOH got started.
                        About 45 minutes.

He says NYW started as a 4 year project, 13 episodes a year. They had no idea it would catch on like it did and run for 20 years (I don't count year 21 as it was all remakes of previous episodes).

---------------
                        ---------------
                        ---------
                        ---------

Comment

Working...
                        X