Blade Cleaning Solution?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blade Cleaning Solution?

What do you use for cleaning your TS blades? I know there are several solutions available from Rockler and the like, but I remember hearing about a household cleaner of some sort and I can't remember which one....it's time to clean the blades of pitch and gum
    Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Kelly,

There are probably a number of solutions that would work. One of the more popular ones and one that I use is 'Simple Green'.

Bob R

Comment

I use oven cleaner. It works great.

Michael

Comment

I also use oven cleaner (easy-off). Cut the top off of 5 gal plastic pail leaving a 3" deep dish for the saw blade. Just spray and wait, then rinse with hot water.

Comment

To add to WaMan, after the water bath and drying, I go over it with WD-40 to make sure the water is displaced, then clean the WD-40 off with mineral spirits. Finally a coat or two of paste wax like Minwax or Johnsons furniture wax to kee things from rusting.

Dan

Comment

I use Formula 409 most of the time then spray the blade with Boeshield t-9.

Comment

Having used oven cleaner for many years, I found out that it can damage the carbide! I have; since used Simple green with good results!!

Comment

Thanks to all for the answers and Happy T-Day to everyone....on the oven cleaner issue, I have heard that htis can eat away at the brazing on the carbide tips and cause them to turn loose at speed over time....sure don't want that to happen to mine. Simple Green seems to be the favorite answer so far, so I think I'm gonna use it...I have some in the garage all the time to clean up various car parts....thanks again!
                Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

I too have used oven cleaner. But you need to be careful. If you let it set to long it will distroy the blade. I was cleaing one of mt blades and had to leave do to a emergence. When I got back about 24 hours later the blade was rusted and pitted. So be careful

[ 11-29-2002, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: danomal ]
                  Dan<br /> <a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/pepaw101\" target=\"_blank\">http://community.webshots.com/user/pepaw101</a>

Comment

Oven cleaner will not damage saw blades according to one of the blade manufacturers in another forum. Doesn't seem to attack the ovens interior.

Comment

I use CMT blade and bit cleaner with a small nylon brush. Safe for my hands, non-toxic and it works!
                      John
                      Eastchester, NY
                      "He who is not just a little bit scared of his power tools, we call stubby" ~ John M Peragine

Comment

I converted to Simple Green last year, after years of using oven cleaner----great stuff---no fumes, and doesn't tend to take off the mfgs' printing/stenciling on the blade.
                        Dave

Comment

Hello fellows ; i use T. S. P. and hot water and soak the blade approx. 20min and the pitch will all fall off --blade will look like new again

Comment

I use Formula 409 Orange Power cleaner to clean my blades. My wife got me to try it after she used it to clean the pitch off her hands from the Christmas tree. I used a tooth brush to clean the small areas around the teeth. Works great and the blade came out looking like new. No fumes or mess. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

....Michshooter

Comment

This was posted by Charles M. of Freud Inc. on cleaning saw blades...

“Quote”
                              “Definitely avoid oven cleaner and other caustics. They attack the cobalt binder in the carbide and can lead to carbide failure (translates to tiny missiles of carbide at 100+ mph). Also, Freud and some other brands of blades have a tri-metal brazing foil that uses copper alloy for a cushioning layer. The copper can also be affected by these cleaners (translates to larger missiles of carbide). We recommend soaking overnight in kerosene in a vented container and using a stiff nylon bristle brush to clean. Teflon coated plates will clean up with a soapy cloth (except for the teeth as mentioned earlier). There are commercial blade cleaning products that are not caustic but we don't officially sanction them. I've personally used Simple Green concentrate with good results.

Charles M
                              Freud, Inc

“End Quote”

I just bought some Simple Green the other day and used an old toothbrush and it worked great… I did this in an old pizza pan, then rinsed the simple green with water, sprayed the blade with WD-40 wiped clean… Worked excellent…
                              Regards,<br /><br />Big Johnson<br /><br />Pictures: <a href=\"http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php</a>

Comment

Working...
                              X