Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid planer

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone else uses Ridgid thickness planers? I have one now for 5 years and finally last weekend I modified it.

When planing soft woods, it always jams! So I took off the exhaust and the small red break lever! Has anyone else had the same problem??

I have planned about 100 bf of white pine and never encountered a problem. How much wood were you removing per pass? I never set it to plain more than 1/16th. I tried once with an 8" wide board to remove 3/16 and it did without a problem but noticed the wood did not come out to smooth. Many marks from wood chips thrown back on the wood.
    Are you Rapture ready? Know Jesus Christ or know his enemy!

Comment

usually when the wood is thrown back at you and there are marks on the wood, it means the chips aren't clearing fast enough, or it's clogged, and it's hammering them back into the board surface.

Michael

Comment

I should have given a bit more info - This month I will be planing about 3500 bf of wet white pine. I usually take off about 1/16 a shot. My knives are new (I go through a pair every 6 months). I have already changed the rollers and brushes, so yes my machine has already paid for itself.

The clogging happens very very often with any wood I use, and I suspect this caused the rollers to be used quickly (they were badly damaged.)

Has Ridgid addressed this problem with their new planer?? And does this happen with the new Dewalt 3 knife planer?? I'm thinking about changing my planer in the near future. I have also seen a planer that plugs into 220 volt - WOW - it removed 1/2 inch a pass - anyone know about these machines??

Thanks (Dude lost in Quebec)

Comment

The clogging could cause roller problems. You might want to get a better extraction system or plane without the dust chute outside.

Also, if I recall, you might want to do a search here, but some of the older planers had white wheels (I think) that would degrade quickly and by calling Ridgid they would send a replacement set.

Michael

Comment

I have removed the dust chute - HOLY MOLLY and WOW this works better. I have changed my knives and the planer sure can rip now.

Has anyone ever resharpened their Ridgid knives?? At $50.00 a pop - it's to expensive to buy knives every other week.

Comment

I've used the Ridgid planer quite a bit over the last 5 years and have had no prblem with the dust chute. Bare in mind that it is useless unless hooked up to a vacuum system. The chips will clog up and get thrown back onto the workpiece causing what known as a "fish scale" effct on your wood(pine being a soft wood is really bad for this). The hard woods should plane better because they have a tighter grain.Hope this helps.

Comment

Also, on the knives they are not sharpenable. They are high speed steel not carbide and if you sharpen or hone them your scale(presets) will be incorrect. Rule of thumb is it's about a dollar per inch to sharpen a blade.With two sides at 13 inches long times 2 blades equals $52.00. A new set is $49.00 so in my eyes it's worth the purchase.

Comment

I think Jim Swamp has it right. Without dust collection (or at very least a shop vac) you will not get the same performance from the planner, something the manual doesn't tell you.
                  I've planned oak, pine, spruce, maple and cherry with no problem with the motor bogging down. I use a Ridgid shop vac to clear the chips, however the canister has to be cleaned frequently even at 16 gallons.

Comment

Thanks for all the info (I should have found this place many moons ago!).

I have sent out the knives and they are back from being resharpened (cost $20.00) and I'll let you all know how it goes. You must remember that I plane alot more then the average Joe. I'm talking about 50 4x4, over 100 2x4, over 100 2x6, 20 2x10 and about 500 1x6 and 1x9! This is only in the last month or so!

I am really thinking of changing my planer because here on the Ottawa region, the service for these machines is crappy on a good day - I've waited over 3 months just to get my new rollers!!!!

I have heard that Ridgid woodworking tools has been sold to a diff company - any truth to this???

Comment

If I were planing the amount you are I would look at a heavy duty planer. I think of the Ridgid as a light duty shop planer, not a production planer.
                      Steve

Comment

I agree with miclabelle in the sense that the TP-1300 is designed to use non-adjustable knives. I think most professional planers allow you to sharpen your blades and utilize a depth adjustment to compensate for the lost blade material. The dollar per inch figure used to justify the high cost of replacement blades earlier in this thread ignores the fact that most users would like the option of self sharpening, shop sharpening or replacing new.

I believe that the machine design is meant to lock the buyers into a single source, non-competitive price for the blades. Does anyone know of an alternative source?

I presume that the sharpened blades were unsatisfactory in that you cannot control depth in reinstalling, right?

Comment

I have heard that Ridgid woodworking tools has been sold to a diff company - any truth to this???
                          Miclabelle,

Rigid woodworking tools are manufactured under license (from Ridgid) by Tectronics International (TTI), which is the parent company of Ryobi and One World Technologies (OWT). That license agreement started in early 2003 I believe and with the license agreement, the color scheme was changed from gray to orange.

I believe you mentioned that your planer was five years old; so it is probably the gray Ridgid unit. As you probably know, Ridgid is owned by Emerson Electric and it is my understanding that Ridgid itself never made any of its "branded" woodworking tools. Ridge tool and the Ridgid brand were primarily known for its top quality plumbing and threading machninery and tools. It is also my understanding that in those two or three years prior to the license agreement, Emerson contracted a lot of its woodworking tools to TTI.

With regard to the cost of the knives for the Ridgid Planer, down here in the Corning, NY area, a set costs $29 and they are double edged so they can be reversed. At that price it hardly seems worth the effort to sharpen them, especially when they can just be turned around for the new edge. But if you are going through them quickly, I can see how that would had up.

I hope this answers you question,

CWS

[ 02-24-2005, 12:19 AM: Message edited by: CWSmith ]

Comment

Working...
                          X