Router Dust collection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router Dust collection

Does anyone have any good suggestions on a way I can hook a vacuum attachment to my router? I am not using it in a table currently.

What make and model router do you have? Some of the router manufacturers such a Porter-Cable have accessory dust collectors for some of their routers such as their 690 model series.

You could make your own base plate to replace the stock one and build a port into it for a 1 1/4" vac hose. Are the handles removable? If so you might be able to fabricate a bracket to hold the hose from your shop vac close enough to suck up most of the chips and dust, but I think it would be more of a hassle and get in your way. If you don't want to build and can't find one from the maker of your router then it might be time for a new router

Comment

Leigh also carries a DC attachment---but with theirs, as others I've seen, they're only good when routing edges----not for cutting dados----and, they completely block out any view you have of the bit.

I have a PC router with the DC hook-ups----it does a decent job, but I probably don't use it as often as I can, because having a vacuum hose is just one more thing I have to concentrate on when routing.
      Dave

Comment

If you happen to live in an area where there is a decent bookstore, you might want to browse through some of the books on routers. I have a couple, but I'm at work and they are at home. I've seen some homemade dust collection fixtures, but the ones I recall are for table mounted routers. There may be ones for handheld though. Pat Speilman (spelling ?) has a book titled The Router Handbook, someone else has one titled Router Magic, and Pat Warner has one titled The Router Book. Although there are other good books on router jigs, one of these is likely to have something along the lines of what you're looking for if such a thing exists.

Comment

Working...
        X