X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router Fence Attached To Rip Fence?

I used the forum search, but didn't find what I'm looking for.
    I'd like to steal ideas for attaching a router fence to the 3650 rip fence. If any of y'all have done this, I'd appreciate pics.
    I am having an issue thinking of how to do it with a vacuum port without the thing being huge and awkward. Oh, split fences are needed too.

TIA,
    ken
    Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

are you looking to attach a commercial fence or shop made?

I have a split face shop built that I simply clamp onto the rip fence. If I wanted to, I could bolt it on using the t-track on the fence, but I find it easier to use two clamps.

basically, I just built a standard split face router fence, and added a piece of 3/4 ply to the back end to form a clamping/mounting surface.

Mine is decently big, about 6 1/2" wide, I suppose if you wanted a smaller one, you could simply raise where you place the vacuum port to allow it to clear the fence.

Comment

Haven't done it, KenM, but if you really have a burning desire to use the stock fence clamping device you just need to modify any existing plan to attach to it. Keep in mind that you are going to have a very wide, heavy fence but that may not be a problem for your most frequent applications. If get something designed that you like I'll bet that the guys would like to see it!
      Later,
      Chiz
      Later,
      Chiz

Comment

Prototype 1

I threw this one together on the fly. It's just a rectangular box with 4 partitions inside, 2 of them being to create the chamber for the dust collection. It attaches to either side of the fence with the T slots on top of the fence. I had the DC fitting at a 45 degree angle, but find it works best straight up. The DC works real good, just a bit of sawdust on the floor under the router. The adjustable fence is from counter top Corian which is very flat and stable.
        This one is regular Oak ply, the HD didn't have any Baltic Birch. I'll do the next one from that for stability.

Ken
        Attached Files
        Last edited by KenM; 12-30-2005, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Router table extension

Hi KenM, I was wondering if you could explain a little bit more for me about how you attached your router table "base" to the TS? I am looking at doing something similar and have looked at some options from Rockler and Mule as mentioned on other threads or making something on my own.

Your router fence design looks pretty good though!
          Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

How do you adjust the sliding fences?

How far past the rear rail is the extension?

Why did you choose to do a rail mounted fence?

Sorry for all the questions but this is a big help.
            Last edited by mikesandy; 01-04-2006, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mikesandy
              How do you adjust the sliding fences?

How far past the rear rail is the extension?

Why did you choose to do a rail mounted fence?

Sorry for all the questions but this is a big help.
              There are T nuts(2) on each side of the 'box' that the fences attach to. The bolts seen on the sliding faces screw into these T nuts. Just loosen the bolts and adjust the faces.

The extension is the same length as the rails, front and rear, so the end of the extension is angled.

I didn't want to have two tracks in the extension for a fence. It's just my opinion, but I feel tracks weaken the table top.

HTH,
              ken

Comment

Ken how do you like this design?

Is it possible to see some close up shots of the DC?

Do you ever need to flip the fence over to the other side when using wider stock?

I guess you must remove the fence when ripping on the TS since it looks like you have mounted the router fence to the left side of the TS fence... I seem to always rip on the left (not sure if it's because there is more space or I am right handed LOL)

Comment

Originally posted by VTDivot
                  Ken how do you like this design?

Is it possible to see some close up shots of the DC?

Do you ever need to flip the fence over to the other side when using wider stock?

I guess you must remove the fence when ripping on the TS since it looks like you have mounted the router fence to the left side of the TS fence... I seem to always rip on the left (not sure if it's because there is more space or I am right handed LOL)
                  Here's a couple of the simple DC for the fence:

Yes, the fence is removed for ripping. It can be turned either direction, also.
                  HTH,
                  ken
                  Attached Files

Comment

So it looks like the DC port is in the top of the fence then? I see that as the only option really.

Do you have the rockler attachment to fit the fence to your shop vac?

Comment

Originally posted by VTDivot
                      So it looks like the DC port is in the top of the fence then? I see that as the only option really.

Do you have the rockler attachment to fit the fence to your shop vac?
                      Yes, on the top.

I picked up one of those cone shaped vac attachments at Woodcraft that adapts for different sizes and cut it off where I needed it.
                      ken

Comment

You are one jig making dude their KenM.

Nice job

A copy maybe down the road
                        Not responsible for speeling mistakes
                        Jeff

Comment

A copy in progress

I'm glad you showed the cut-out too. I never would have thought to put the 2 cross pieces in to "trap" the dust.

Comment

Working...
                          X