X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dust collection cfm

i have the 16 gallon, 5hp shop vac, from home depot - model # WD1637. i can't find the manual for this, can anyone share its CFM rating (cubic feet per minute). i have it hooked up to a table saw for dust collection, and it really doesn't do the job (thought i assume not designed for such).

Re: dust collection cfm

I don't know the cfm rating but I would think that it should work fairly well if all you have it hooked up to is a table saw. What make/model saw, describe you setup with a little more detail?
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

mga,

I couldn't find anything for your specific model. However, looking at the specifications for the current Ridgid 16-gallon "high-performance" model (16 Gal High Performance Vac - RIDGID Professional Tools), it says 199 CFM... which as you know, is NOT really very high when compared to a "dust collector" which is designed for that purpose. They are usually 800 cfm and above. I believe I read somewhere for a small shop something in the neighborhood of 1200 cfm or better is recommended, especially if hooked into a ducting system.

However in my little basement shop, all I use is a Ridgid 12-gal Shop Vac. Not sure what that CFM rating is, but probably in the ball park of 200, like yours. I use it as a direct hookup to whatever tool that I am using at the moment. Of these, my table saw (a Ryobi BT3100-1) is no doubt the worst offender as much escapes from the blade guard area, even with the shop vac hooked up. I always have to vac sawdust from the table, floor, etc. after it's use. On my RAS, I have a fairly efficient shroud that I've made for it, but still some dust ends up on the work table. For the drill press and router table and for hook-up to my sanders, the shop vac does a pretty good job. In all these applications, I can only assume a "dust collector" might be better; but I think even then, some modification/refinement has to be done to make each machine's "ducting" more efficient.

In any case, the shop vac is better than nothing; but certainly it is not going to have the CFM of a real "dust collector". The one thing that I am very dedicated to is keeping the dust in the shop area and as much out of my lungs as possible. That means a "mask" when I'm doing any significant amount of work, especially with the table saw. And, I keep the shop floor and stuff pretty clean, and for that the Ridgid shop vac works great.

I noticed this May's issue of "Wood Magazine" has an article in it regarding dust collection in basement shops... it might be worth your while to take a look at it.

I hope this helps,

CWS
      Last edited by CWSmith; 05-14-2012, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Shop vac will work pretty well for sanders, router table, even a miter or RAS saw and shop clean up, but for larger volume of dust generating machines like, planers, jointers, table saw a dedicated dust collector will work much better.

I have a Penn state 1.5hp canister unit that works quite well for me, but tons of people get the HF 2hp unit and add a Wynn cannister filter to it. I think I paid about $400 delivered for my Penn State DC.

A bit of a pill to swallow when getting a DC unit but once you have it, it earns its place in the shop.

Comment

Thanks all. My table saw calls for a 400 CFM unit. I suppose that is why i've got dust everywhere. Since my HD unit is much less $ that the 199cfm unit, then i think i need a real dust collector.

Comment

mga56grg...check you PMs.
            there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Working...
            X