Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to Start Veneering

Hey guys,

I'm going to take my first crack at veneering some smallpanels for box lids in the near future. I've got a few pieces of veneer picked out and I'll be ordering someveneer softener today.

Second Wind Workshop: Thinking Through Some Design

Any good tips for a first timer experimenting with somesmall panels? I won't be taping anypieces this time around. For such smallparts, is Titebond or Titebond III OK? I see myself doing more veneering in thefuture, so I'm not opposed to buying a better glue choice now.

Pete

Click image for larger version

Name:	ea7368088e69fbc1848e2053fde5813f.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	16288
    Pete
    My Blog - Second Wind Workshop
    http://secondwindworkshop.blogspot.com/

Re: Looking to Start Veneering

Originally posted by mn pete View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm going to take my first crack at veneering some smallpanels for box lids in the near future. I've got a few pieces of veneer picked out and I'll be ordering someveneer softener today.

Second Wind Workshop: Thinking Through Some Design

Any good tips for a first timer experimenting with somesmall panels? I won't be taping anypieces this time around. For such smallparts, is Titebond or Titebond III OK? I see myself doing more veneering in thefuture, so I'm not opposed to buying a better glue choice now.

Pete

Click image for larger version

Name:	ea7368088e69fbc1848e2053fde5813f.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	16288
    I've not done a lot with veneer but I put hardwood on my stairs and had to use veneer on some of the risers due to the shape of the stairs (curved). I used contact cement and it works well but you have to be really careful to align everything before sticking the surfaces together since you only get one chance at it. Be careful not to get air bubbles trapped. Doing a small box is probably a lot easier than a large stair though.

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
      I've not done a lot with veneer but I put hardwood on my stairs and had to use veneer on some of the risers due to the shape of the stairs (curved). I used contact cement and it works well but you have to be really careful to align everything before sticking the surfaces together since you only get one chance at it. Be careful not to get air bubbles trapped. Doing a small box is probably a lot easier than a large stair though.
      Did someone inspect your work or was this a DIY project?

Comment

Originally posted by Socal John View Post
        Did someone inspect your work or was this a DIY project?
        I'm not following the question. I'm not aware of an inspection process for cosmetic type work. It was a DIY project but as far as permits and inspections any work requiring those need them regardless of who does them.

I did not frame the stairs - that would have required inspection but that would have been taken care of at the time the house was built.

Comment

Working...
        X