X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Ya Snooze, Ya Lose !!

Went to the mailbox this evening and got a new catalog from Lee Valley.

Flipping through the pages quickly I don't see much that interests me right off.

But then..........................I flip over to the back cover..............and there it is,
    my meal ticket, my retirement home in Maui.

I was flabbergasted.

Turns out that someone finally came up with an idea I had about 5 years ago.
    I made myself a spacer set like the one on the back cover of the catalog, but out of
    some scraps of 5mm Luann, theirs uses thinner leafs of plastic, probably about a 1/16 thick.

Mine has the ends of all the leafs drilled for a 3/4" dowel, and each leaf has a 3/4" hole near one end.
    Assembled its like a set of feeler gauges, but its for use with your end vise on your woodworking bench. I use it when working on smaller pieces of stock that I want to clamp near the end of the vise. As anyone knows who has used a vise like this the jaws will often times jam if only clamping on one end, hence the spacer set is used to create a spacer close to the thickness of the workpiece so the vise does not get jammed. I'll get a photo of mine this weekend and post it for you to see. Its very simple and easy to make. For the thinner leafs I could add some pieces of Formica.

I had often thought of sending it in to one of the WWing mags. you can win a nice power tool or a nice hand plane from Lee Valley or other quality tools. Usually the top prize is in the $200 to 300 dollar range. The reason that I never did send it in is that it would not be my property any longer, and I wanted to sell the idea to some tool maker for a nice piece of change.

Too late now. Ya snooze, ya lose.

Edit: Here's mine that I made about 5 years ago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5dda1808a9e0bc9cabca96b74f4e6d68.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	16295
    Last edited by Bob D.; 05-26-2012, 06:37 AM.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: If Ya Snooze, Ya Lose !!

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
    Went to the mailbox this evening and got a new catalog from Lee Valley.

Flipping through the pages quickly I don't see much that interests me right off.

But then..........................I flip over to the back cover..............and there it is,
    my meal ticket, my retirement home in Maui.

I was flabbergasted.

Turns out that someone finally came up with an idea I had about 5 years ago.
    I made myself a spacer set like the one on the back cover of the catalog, but out of
    some scraps of 5mm Luann, theirs uses thinner leafs of plastic, probably about a 1/16 thick.

Mine has the ends of all the leafs drilled for a 3/4" dowel, and each leaf has a 3/4" hole near one end.
    Assembled its like a set of feeler gauges, but its for use with your end vise on your woodworking bench. I use it when working on smaller pieces of stock that I want to clamp near the end of the vise. As anyone knows who has used a vise like this the jaws will often times jam if only clamping on one end, hence the spacer set is used to create a spacer close to the thickness of the workpiece so the vise does not get jammed. I'll get a photo of mine this weekend and post it for you to see. Its very simple and easy to make. For the thinner leafs I could add some pieces of Formica.

I had often thought of sending it in to one of the WWing mags. you can win a nice power tool or a nice hand plane from Lee Valley or other quality tools. Usually the top prize is in the $200 to 300 dollar range. The reason that I never did send it in is that it would not be my property any longer, and I wanted to sell the idea to some tool maker for a nice piece of change.

Too late now. Ya snooze, ya lose.

Edit: Here's mine that I made about 5 years ago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5dda1808a9e0bc9cabca96b74f4e6d68.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	16295
    That's crazy man you should have patented the idea!

Comment

Working...
    X