X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Molding cutters for ts2424

Hey all, I just picked up a TS2424 to help with the remodeling of our new house and I wish to make my own molding. I have seen cutting kits for mostly craftsman table saws and am wondering if various brands of kits will work for my model saw? Thanks

Re: Molding cutters for ts2424

Here is one site. I am sure there are more....
    Ridgid Parts online catalog,Outdoor Distributors Ridgid Parts Search

Comment

I would think most of the molding cutters for table saw would fit and work, (especially if it is a sear unit) as at one time Sears and Ridgid were the same product,

If it is the same arbor size and the swing of the cutters is not to large and the width is not to wide it should work,
      but if the cutter will work on a Sears 10" table saw my guess is it will work on the Ridgid,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I'm sure there must be others who like "molding cutters" for use on a table saw, but I am one who does not. I personally think they are somewhat dangerous and I haven't been impressed by the quality, when compared to router or shaper. While the shaper is generally too expensive for many shops, a simple table mounted router offers a much greater variety of "shape" profiles and with their higher RPM the molding cut will be significantly better, IMHO.

The bigger tablesaws use induction motors and have an RPM of around 3650, while many of the smaller and portable table saws use Universal (brush-type) motors with RPM's in the neighborhood or 4500 - 5000. The chisel-like cutters on a "molding" head more or less gouge out the shape and at that speed are frightfully noisey, at least to me. Considering that the knives are held in with basically a setscrew, it appears to me as not a great mechanical device to be standing next to, at any high RPM. But that said, I don't recall ever reading of a blade coming loose... it just doesn't seem too attractive to me I guess.

But, a router bit turns at considerably higher RPM (8,000 to 24,000 generally), and with it's carbide edges, anti-kickback design, and significantly smaller diameter (cutting edge to edge distance) distance provides for a much more efficient cutting action with less strain on motor. I would think that the knife cut on a molding head would offer significant stress on the saw's arbor, comparitively. With a router you also have the potential for a much wider cut profile than anything that I've seen in a table-saw molding head.

Personally, the table saw excels at it's primary purpose... ripping! While other applications (like a dado blade) can broaden the applications of a table saw, I am of the opinion that cutting molding shapes is not one of them. I much prefer to use a tool to its best design function and advantage. Molding/shaping is better done on a machine designed for such, like the table-mounted router.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Thanks all, Think I will stick with the router for this!

Comment

You can use a molding head on the table saw. I use my in my ts2424. I made a video on it. . Molding head cutters can be order here. Corob Cutters With a molding head cutter you usually have to take multiple passes, In this case I could do the bead cut in one pass safely.
            Last edited by Andy B.; 06-14-2012, 10:43 PM.
            Andy B.

Comment

Working...
            X