X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extension Table Mounting Ideas

I have a Woodpecker Extension table coming for the TS3650. The Woodpecker tables are 1 3/8" thick, 2 layers of 5/8" MDF with both sides laminated.
    I have thought of 3 ways of mounting it between the 3650 rails.

1. Rabbet the rail ends of the table to mount aluminum angle in and mount the angle to the rails. The rabbet depth would have to be around 3/4"

2. drill holes (depressions)in the bottom of the table with a forstner bit deep enough to accept 5/16 nuts, with holes drilled in the end of the table matched to the forstner holes for the 5/16 bolts to pass through.

3. A dado about 5/8" deep parallel with the rail ends, about an inch in from the ends to place the 5/16" nuts, maybe with a piece of 1/2" wide, 1/8" thick Al. under the nuts for strength.

All these are using 5/16" bolts with the bolt heads in the rail tracks, like the factory extensions.

I 'think' all of these will work. I'm looking for comments on which will be the strongest.

Hope this is clear.
    Thanks,
    ken
    Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Router table extensio

souds good for the rails, but how do you bolt it to main saw top?
    Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Tonyeid
      souds good for the rails, but how do you bolt it to main saw top?
      Thanks.
      I've used the angle solution for a temporary top till the Woodpecker one arrives. Works well. To attach to the tabletop I did the same rabbet for another piece of angle, drilled 2 holes in the right cast table side for bolts with nuts. Found that you definitely need another person to help keep everything aligned while the bolts/nuts are tightened from below.
      ken

Comment

What did you use to drill the holes in the cast iron extension?

Did you add any additional support/legs for the router extension to take the weight off the rails?
        Last edited by mikesandy; 01-03-2006, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mikesandy
          What did you use to drill the holes in the cast iron extension?

Did you add any additional support/legs for the router extension to take the weight off the rails?
          Just drilled holes for 5/16" bolt clearance.

Not yet, but that's my next task on this project. I pop the Bosch 1617 out except when I'm using it in the table. Just takes about 15 seconds.

HTH,
          ken

Comment

Drilling holes in the cast iron table

You can use a tap and die set to drill and thread the holes. If you get the right drill bit it should go through like butter.

Comment

Working...
            X