NEED HELP ON TS COMPARISON

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEED HELP ON TS COMPARISON

I have the ridgid "work n haul it" TS2400 and love it.Ive been thinking on upgrading to the stationary model. My question is "would" it be an upgrade? Or am i basicly getting the same saw with a bigger work area, what are the advantages?Any thoughts or opinions?thanks
    \"practice is like farting; only you can do it yourself\' and no one can do it for you\"-sawaki kodo (zen master)

Going to a stationary TS could offer alot of advantages over a portable jobsite saw depending on which one you choose. Jobsite saws offer excellent portability, and while some are pretty capable saws, there are typically very few advantages over a good contractor saw, hybrid or cabinet saw. The three latter types will have a cast iron main table with extension wings that are typically 27" deep x 40" wide many with cast iron wings. The guts are typically cast iron, the motors are induction types which are quieter and more powerful than universal motors, and offer belt drive. Many of the modern fences on these saws are steel Biesemeyer or Biese clone types that are very rugged, precise, and easy to setup and use. Most weigh well over 250# and have lower vibration. They also tend to have lower runout on the arbors, and should last a lifetime with minor maintenance. DC can be better, plus you'll often have standard t-slots, access to alot of good aftermarket accessories, and higher resale value.

Comment

Check out Americanwoodworker.com. They have a tool review section where they compare and contrast many shop tools to include Table saws.
      Character is doing the right thing when no one is looking.

Comment

Here is my opinion for what it worth and I'm sure many will disagree. The saw on most internet forums have been given a place of exaltation that I don't understand. You have go to have the best or you can't do anything. They talk about vibration, cast iron, power, etc.

A saw sizes wood. After that craftsman ship comes into play. Take most any saw a good blade and you can cut wood to the size you need to begin working on it. On most projects I do I cut my wood and take it to the bench and never use the saw again. Total saw time on average project less than 5 percent.

Saws basically fit three needs, bench tops for home hobbyist, contractor to move to work site and do a lot of framing type cuts, and cabinet or production saws that spend the day cutting lumber used by production cabinet and furniture shops.

We have made ourselves believe we need a Cabinet saw if we are to build a bird house. Well some do I guess but in my opinion if your saw cuts wood to the size you want it then why replace it?

There is a wood working program on DIY that uses a saw which is the same as yours and they do everything with it. There is another program that uses the same type (theirs is a dewalt) and again it works for them. But everyone focuses in on Norm and his production saw. Count the time spent by him on the saw and compare it to the time he spends elsewhere and see what is real important.
        Personally I would rather have a planer or a sanding table before I had a saw.

Save your money on the saw and buy some nice hand planes and enjoy the feel and swish of paper thin strips of wood being pared off. Or get yourself a router and some nice bits and make intricate shapes that are so uncommon in today’s production products. Or buy some wood from far away lands that no body has very seen and build a treasure. Don’t worry about the saw you used to size the wood.
        IMHO
        Ed
        Rev Ed

Comment

RevEd, THANK YOU That is by far the best post I have seen on this forum. Well done.
          info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

reved, Yeah i know and understand where youre coming from ,if i was to speak in general Id agree 100%.My question is basicly "is" the ts3650 and upgrade in comparison to the ts2400 or is it basicly the same saw, or really not that much of a diffrence.Im fairly new to more complex power tools , because as you suggested the main tools I use "are" traditional hand tools ( the spokeshave being the most used)
            The reason for me raising the question in the first place is because I find myself milling alot of thicker and bigger wood these days and dont want to overwork my saw for long periods of cutting thick slabs of cocobolo( as you suggested also , all I use is exotics (cocobolo, jatoba, honduras rosewood, ipe,lacewood , bocote , pau ferro etc,etc..)
            I also figure by getting a contactors saw ,I could add a bench dog router table added to my saw ....in order to take up less space. That way I could get rid of my station for my shaper table.
            \"practice is like farting; only you can do it yourself\' and no one can do it for you\"-sawaki kodo (zen master)

Comment

aikiwood
              Yes it would be an upgrade. First the table area is larger. Second you would be moving to an induction motor rather than a universal motor. Universals use brushes which generate heat and are usually louder. If all things are equal an induction motor should last longer and be able to cut wood more continuously than a universal. However I think for the average home hobbyist there is little danger wearing out or burning up either. That said misuse of a universal would take out the motor faster than the same misuse of an induction. Again if all things are equal.
              The 3650 also offers stability over the 2400 which is handy for cutting sheet stock. You also right you could put on a router table on the 3650 which would not be very handy on the 2400.

In exchange for all these pluses you have to remember the 3650 is going to take up more space and you can’t fold it up and put it away. Plus you lose some mobility, the 2400 is made to be transported and moved around. While the 36540 has the very herculift system it is basically limited to moving around in your shop or over relativity smooth surfaces. Yes there are guys that throw these things into the back of their pickups by let’s just say that is not the norm.

Another factor you have to remember you have the 2400 I assume bought and paid for. If you buy a 3650 you have to come with that cost. If I may suggest something. Why not continue with the 2400 until you either wear it out or sell it to someone by then you should be much more than a novice and know exactly what you want. As I said I believe the 2400 will do 99.9% of everything most of the guys that read these forums will ever do, it is usually envy through slick advertising or constantly reading these forums that motivates them to buy anything else.
              You see it in cars people buy all the time. Some people buy cars that can take curves at 90 but never go above 35 and would never think of driving a car on vacation. In other words they don’t love cars nor do they enjoy driving them they just want to impress. Well they got it, they love it but they never begin to really use it. To me they could have bought a normal family car, saved a lot of money and not have been the blunt of jokes by others that find their need to impress hilarious.
              EdB
              Rev Ed

Comment

Rev Ed: Very well put.

Want to see a picture of my car that will do 90 around the curves. LOL The only way I would be doing 90 is if I was dropped out of a plane in the car.

Woodrat

Comment

Thanks for the info rev . You anwsered my question. Thanks

Comment

Hi Akai,

I just though i would put my two cents here.

If you are working with these exotic woods, then why would you use low end tools? If you are spending high dollars on material, then wouldn't you want to minimize your chances for error? I understand what the other guys are saying, If it ain't broke, don't fix it. However, by movin up to a more stable saw you can move up in the size and quality of your projects.

I have had the big dewalt 52" table saw for 4 years now and I have to tell you that it has definitely made a tremendous difference in the size and quality of my projects. I also had a friend custom make a router wing for the end of the saw and it is indeed a great space saver.

There is absolutely no portability there so it is really a permanent fixture. However, I had the luxury of making portable infeed and outfeed tables for it as well, and have no problem ripping down any 4 x 8 sheets of any size veneer by myself.

So determine you needs and go from there.

good luck.

Happy woodworking guys

Comment

Hammer, most of my projects are made with exotic woods. Bubinga, PurpleHeart, yellow heart, Padouk. I have been using my TS2400 for a few years now, along with several other Ridgid, Ryobi, Craftsman tools and I can safely say that your statement is off base. With proper setup and use I can do anything you can on my 2400 compared to your 52" Dewalt.
                      info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Well I'd like to add a cent and a halfs worth. Just getting started in wood and I have bought some really nice stuff. So far with my quality tools I have made a lot of expensive sawdust and scrap. Though my home made push blocks are nice LOL.

The skill of the person using the tools is paramount. A good craftsman can make very nice things with mediocre tools.

A beginning wood hatchetman like myself can make the finest sawdust in town with quality tools. I can do wonders with pipe, steel and iron. But my woodworking so far looks like Pinnochios brain on drugs.

A little homily, and a true one: Two young men were playing pool in a bar. Both fancied themselves to be amoung the best in their part of the state in which they lived. While playing and arguing over what equipment was the best and who personally had the better cue sticks, a very famous pool player entered the room. This man listened to the youngsters for a while then made them a little bet. He bet these two that he could go outside and find a stick on the ground and come back in and beat both of them at their best game. He did.

Within obvious limits it always comes down to the skill that resides in the player, or maker as the case might be.
                        Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Working...
                        X