X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem ripping birch boards

I purchased a 5/4 thick piece of birch about 6” wide and about 6’ long.
    I needed to make a block about 2” square. So I ripped two 2 ¼” strips
    from the board with the intention of gluing them face-to-face and then
    trimming it to the final size.

My problem is – when I ripped the pieces, they curved almost like a “c”
    or banana. It’s like the wood was under great pressure that got relieved when
    I ripped it.

What is happening? Is it something I did or didn’t do or is it a problem with birch or …?
    How do I prevent this from happening in the future?
    I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks for your help.
    Mike

Couple of things could have happend. The wood may have been kiln dried too fast, or it wasn't dry enough.

Get a moister meter, and make sure your wood is dry. Also let the wood sit in your shop for a few weeks before working it.

[ 01-14-2004, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: K.M. Delano ]
    Support Our Troops!
    www.mnpatriotguard.org
    www.patriotguard.org

Comment

Sounds like the wood was too wet. Did this happen right after the cut and was the cut uniform in width? I try to have the finished piece against the fence, it seems to limit that problem.
      I would use biscuits on the pieces and alots of clamps between staight boards and it may straighten.

Comment

Sounds like you may have come across some wood that was under stress, do a web search for Wood Longitudinal Stress and you'll see several good definitions of what it is. When the wood was originally growing it may have been under extreme stress(leaning, a heavy branch, etc.), or the stress came about from the drying process. When you ripped the board you relieved the stress and viola, a bannana shaped board. I've seen wood curve away from the cut and wedge between the blade and fence; and close up behind the blade binding it and popping the breaker.

http://www.ces.purdue.edu/extmedia/FNR/FNR-132.pdf

Comment

All these reasons are good ones. Sometimes theres' nothing you can do about warping b/c when you rip pieces of wood you are releasing certain pressures. That is why when you're working with pure wood rather than plywoods, it's a good idea to have a jointer / planer. I don't do much work with natural wood for this reason. Mostly plywoods. I don't have jointer or planer.

Jake

Comment

Working...
          X